News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown

One of my clients sent me the following today regarding Edmonton. I thought it might be nice to share something positive about the city:

“I haven't had to submit any cases lately so I didn't get to tell you I was in your city at the beginning of April. My husband and two of our friends saw an Oilers game, hung out
at the mall and shopped. Oh and we ate
some really fantastic meals too!! We had an absolute blast.

We normally go to Vancouver, but I loved Edmonton, I’ll be back for sure. The distance to drive is the same as going to Vancouver. The people were super nice, we had some great weather.I didn't feel underdressed like I do in vancouver, lol.

We are huge Oilers fans, so it was so nice to see and feel the fan base. In Vancouver the hockey games are way too corporate and in Edmonton the fans actually watch the game and know what's going on. it was incredible to see all the blue and orange, everyone was wearing oilers swag. We will definitely be back again.”

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 8.56.42 AM.png

Not totally accurate, as there's additional sweeping happening during the playoffs in certain areas.

Also, the Downtown Recovery Coalition Corporate Clean-Up event tomorrow and Saturday has over 600 volunteers signed up including help from several major companies like Bee Clean and a junk removal company.

Not totally accurate, as there's additional sweeping happening during the playoffs in certain areas.

Also, the Downtown Recovery Coalition Corporate Clean-Up event tomorrow and Saturday has over 600 volunteers signed up including help from several major companies like Bee Clean and a junk removal company.
I will be cleaning tomorrow. Only 2 hours but with 600 people could make a dent.

I wished this was more regular, as the Chinatown Transformation Collaborative has organized monthly cleanups in Chinatown for at least two years now and they typically get an average of 15 - 20 people helping each time (with a free lunch for volunteers after!).

WOW and bravo all!
---

PRESS RELEASE
The inaugural Corporate Cleanup Challenge gets underway, with over 700 volunteers pitching in to get our downtown streets cleaned up for the Spring

April 21, 2023 (Edmonton, AB) – On Friday afternoon the Downtown Recovery Coalition launched the inaugural Corporate Cleanup Challenge, where teams from businesses and organizations spanning across the entire city (see full list below) are providing hands-on support, by putting their hands on pieces of garbage and throwing them out.

"We believe that everyone has a role to play in keeping our city clean and beautiful. By coming together as a community, we can make a tangible impact on the cleanliness and overall appearance of downtown Edmonton, and create a positive environment for everyone to enjoy," said Daryn Kemp, lead event organizer and Co-Owner at Applied Colour in Edmonton. “We are blown away by the community participation in this event. But that’s Edmonton for you – ask people to help out, and they respond in droves. That’s the power of our community.”

The Downtown Recovery Coalition has been advocating to all orders of government to get serious about enhancing cleanliness and safety downtown. But it’s not all up to government – everyone in the community can play roles both large and small to ensure downtown Edmonton is once again the vibrant, attractive, imaginative and engaging place that it was before the pandemic knocked it off course.

“Creating a safe, clean and vibrant downtown is a complex issue, but not all solutions need to be complex,” says Downtown Recovery Coalition Chair Alex Hryciw. “Today and tomorrow, we’re out here pitching in and doing our part to freshen up our city. There are over 700 volunteers participating from dozens of businesses and groups, and everyone is taking some time out of their day to help out in this simple and direct way.”

Event Details:

Date and Time: The event began today and will continue Saturday April 22nd from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm. Media are welcome to attend and get footage and/or interview.

Location: Media interested in covering the event can come to Alex Decoteau Park, 10230 105 St., where members of the Downtown Recovery Coalition will be located.

Onsite Media Contact: Alex Hryciw will be onsite for the duration of the event on both days. She can be reached at 780-271-4641

Participating Organizations:
Organizations participating in the Corporate Cleanup Challenge include:
o 19 Islands
o Adecco
o Alberta Health
o AltaML
o Aspen Properties
o Associated Engineering
o Autograph
o Bee-Clean Building Maintenance
o BentallGreenOak (Canada) LP
o Berlin Communications
o BKRx Inc.
o Brooklin Consulting
o Canderel
o Capital Power
o CASA Mental Health
o CBRE
o CentreCore
o City of Edmonton
o Clark Builders
o Cushman & Wakefield Edmonton
o Delnor
o Dentons
o Desco Coatings
o Dialog
o Downtown Edmonton Community League
o DRC
o Edmonton City Centre
o Edmonton Downtown Business Association
o Edmonton Elks
o Edmonton Public Library
o Edmonton Stingers
o EPCOR
o First General Edmonton
o Flowers by Merle
o Frontline Contracting Group
o Gardaworld
o Greenjeans Interiorscape Ltd.
o GWLRA
o Hines
o Indigo Park Canada Inc.
o JLL
o Justice Canada
o Kingsway Mall
o L7 Architecture
o Legacy Mortgage Group
o MacEwan University Library & Centre for Teaching and Learning
o Maclab Development Group
o Melcor
o MIRACA direct
o MLA David Shepherd
o MMG Ltd.
o MNP
o MTA
o Next Architecture
o Nova Hotels Chateau Lacombe
o ONE Properties
o Paul Davis Restoration Edmonton
o PCL
o Porscon Construction (2012) Ltd.
o QuadReal Property Group
o Qualico
o Recruitment Partners Inc.
o Research Services Office, U of A
o RGO Office Products Edmonton Ltd
o Richard Wong
o Riocan
o Rossdale
o Royal Glenora Club
o Royal Order
o Scotiabank - Roynat Capital
o Seagate
o Self
o Solution 105
o Synergy
o TD Canada Trust
o The Helm Clothing
o Tremco CPG
o Triovest
o UDI
o We Know Training
o YOUCAN Youth Services

About the Downtown Recovery Coalition:

The Downtown Recovery Coalition is a group of both for-profit and not-for-profit business and community leaders dedicated to ensuring our downtown sees sustained recovery post- pandemic. The group has been advocating to all levels of government for measurable improvements in Downtown: Safety and security, infrastructure and cleanliness, and transformative projects.

The Corporate Cleanup Challenge initiative compliments the group’s efforts by engaging businesses and community members who share a passion for a vital downtown, in a fun, weekend activity.

We believe that by working together, we can create a positive impact and make our city a better place for everyone to live, work, and enjoy.

-30-
Photo attached of various teams including those of DRC Steering Committee members, Councillor Anne Stevenson, and MLA David Shepherd.

WOW and bravo all!
---

PRESS RELEASE
The inaugural Corporate Cleanup Challenge gets underway, with over 700 volunteers pitching in to get our downtown streets cleaned up for the Spring

April 21, 2023 (Edmonton, AB) – On Friday afternoon the Downtown Recovery Coalition launched the inaugural Corporate Cleanup Challenge, where teams from businesses and organizations spanning across the entire city (see full list below) are providing hands-on support, by putting their hands on pieces of garbage and throwing them out.

"We believe that everyone has a role to play in keeping our city clean and beautiful. By coming together as a community, we can make a tangible impact on the cleanliness and overall appearance of downtown Edmonton, and create a positive environment for everyone to enjoy," said Daryn Kemp, lead event organizer and Co-Owner at Applied Colour in Edmonton. “We are blown away by the community participation in this event. But that’s Edmonton for you – ask people to help out, and they respond in droves. That’s the power of our community.”

The Downtown Recovery Coalition has been advocating to all orders of government to get serious about enhancing cleanliness and safety downtown. But it’s not all up to government – everyone in the community can play roles both large and small to ensure downtown Edmonton is once again the vibrant, attractive, imaginative and engaging place that it was before the pandemic knocked it off course.

“Creating a safe, clean and vibrant downtown is a complex issue, but not all solutions need to be complex,” says Downtown Recovery Coalition Chair Alex Hryciw. “Today and tomorrow, we’re out here pitching in and doing our part to freshen up our city. There are over 700 volunteers participating from dozens of businesses and groups, and everyone is taking some time out of their day to help out in this simple and direct way.”

Event Details:

Date and Time: The event began today and will continue Saturday April 22nd from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm. Media are welcome to attend and get footage and/or interview.

Location: Media interested in covering the event can come to Alex Decoteau Park, 10230 105 St., where members of the Downtown Recovery Coalition will be located.

Onsite Media Contact: Alex Hryciw will be onsite for the duration of the event on both days. She can be reached at 780-271-4641

Participating Organizations:
Organizations participating in the Corporate Cleanup Challenge include:
o 19 Islands
o Adecco
o Alberta Health
o AltaML
o Aspen Properties
o Associated Engineering
o Autograph
o Bee-Clean Building Maintenance
o BentallGreenOak (Canada) LP
o Berlin Communications
o BKRx Inc.
o Brooklin Consulting
o Canderel
o Capital Power
o CASA Mental Health
o CBRE
o CentreCore
o City of Edmonton
o Clark Builders
o Cushman & Wakefield Edmonton
o Delnor
o Dentons
o Desco Coatings
o Dialog
o Downtown Edmonton Community League
o DRC
o Edmonton City Centre
o Edmonton Downtown Business Association
o Edmonton Elks
o Edmonton Stingers
o EPCOR
o First General Edmonton
o Flowers by Merle
o Frontline Contracting Group
o Gardaworld
o Greenjeans Interiorscape Ltd.
o GWLRA
o Hines
o Indigo Park Canada Inc.
o JLL
o Justice Canada
o Kingsway Mall
o L7 Architecture
o Legacy Mortgage Group
o MacEwan University Library & Centre for Teaching and Learning
o Maclab Development Group
o Melcor
o MIRACA direct
o MLA David Shepherd
o MMG Ltd.
o MNP
o MTA
o Next Architecture
o Nova Hotels Chateau Lacombe
o ONE Properties
o Paul Davis Restoration Edmonton
o PCL
o Porscon Construction (2012) Ltd.
o QuadReal Property Group
o Qualico
o Recruitment Partners Inc.
o Research Services Office, U of A
o RGO Office Products Edmonton Ltd
o Richard Wong
o Riocan
o Rossdale
o Royal Glenora Club
o Royal Order
o Scotiabank - Roynat Capital
o Seagate
o Self
o Solution 105
o Synergy
o TD Canada Trust
o The Helm Clothing
o Tremco CPG
o Triovest
o UDI
o We Know Training
o YOUCAN Youth Services

About the Downtown Recovery Coalition:

The Downtown Recovery Coalition is a group of both for-profit and not-for-profit business and community leaders dedicated to ensuring our downtown sees sustained recovery post- pandemic. The group has been advocating to all levels of government for measurable improvements in Downtown: Safety and security, infrastructure and cleanliness, and transformative projects.

The Corporate Cleanup Challenge initiative compliments the group’s efforts by engaging businesses and community members who share a passion for a vital downtown, in a fun, weekend activity.

We believe that by working together, we can create a positive impact and make our city a better place for everyone to live, work, and enjoy.

-30-
Photo attached of various teams including those of DRC Steering Committee members, Councillor Anne Stevenson, and MLA David Shepherd.
Surprised to see no Regency on there 🙃

Or have done great work in the past and been leaders for awhile.

I don't think we should get too sensitive about it. It was a Corporate challenge and for whatever reasons there are some notable corporations not on the list.

And the dt based company I work for wasn't on the list and I didn't hear anything about so I do plan to ask why not at work on Monday.

Back