News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 5.47.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 5.48.48 PM.png

Residential Growth Targets
There are two separate targets and projections for residential growth included in the 2010 Capital City Downtown Plan:
  • ● Population target of 24,000 by 2030
    • ○ 2021 population was 12,000 (2021 Federal Census).
    • ○ 1,333 new residents per year 2022-2030 to meet this target.
  • ● Projection of 12,200 net new units between 2009 and 2044
    • ○ 2019 count was 10,365, an increase of 3,205 from 2009. (2019
      Municipal Census)
    • ○ 359 new units per year from 2019 to 2044 to meet this target.

Residential Growth Targets
There are two separate targets and projections for residential growth included in the 2010 Capital City Downtown Plan:
  • ● Population target of 24,000 by 2030
    • ○ 2021 population was 12,000 (2021 Federal Census).
    • ○ 1,333 new residents per year 2022-2030 to meet this target.
  • ● Projection of 12,200 net new units between 2009 and 2044
    • ○ 2019 count was 10,365, an increase of 3,205 from 2009. (2019
      Municipal Census)
    • ○ 359 new units per year from 2019 to 2044 to meet this target.
It honestly seems highly achievable.
Between The Parks, the Falcons, Stationlands (the one currently under construction) and Peak Tower alone, how many unites are we adding? 2000+?

^ In the report it notes ~1,100 units under construction for downtown but that is just for current phases of Station Lands/The Parks/Falcon, and not sure if it includes Peak Tower.

^ In the report it notes ~1,100 units under construction for downtown but that is just for current phases of Station Lands/The Parks/Falcon, and not sure if it includes Peak Tower.
Considering that the largest buildings in both the Falcon and The Parks are the second ones, I think we're not too far off from the 2000. That's around 7000 units to go... Seems like A LOT.
We'd need another 10~12 projects the size of the Falcon to meet that (not that I would complain about seeing another 20~24 towers DT), on top of the ones we're already getting.

What do we currently have in sight?
Second tower for Stationlands, the Williams Hall conversion, maybe the Shift.

There's a few very speculative projects that could happen, as well, mostly in the ICE District area, like the Westrich tower proposed to 103 ave, the one at the Affordable Storage building and the Connect Centre tower.

Even if all of these come to see the light, we're still VERY short. :(

Keep in mind that 'we' said 20,000 in 2020 back in 2010/12.
Granted, we could've been a lot closer to that if it weren't for the 2014-15 economic downturn (which killed a lot of momentum) and then COVID (which killed it again, when it seemed to be picking it back up).

To be honest, I'll be elated if we make it to these 20,000 by 2044, and happy enough if we make it to 18,000.

I would love to see another 20+ towers built downtown in the next 10 years, but I find that VERY unlikely. I can't see that happening even in Oliver, and the momentum there is substantially stronger.

25k is the magic number to start to have critical mass.
I would love to see it, but I do think this number is a bit arbitrary, to be honest.
Especially considering how integrated to DT Oliver is, even more so with the LRT connection, this might be lower than we believe.

But just counting down the current empty/significantly underused lots in DT, getting to that would probably mean filling over 90% of them (which would be amazing), if you consider that we can't count on all of the units coming in the form of tall towers. That would be absolutely amazing, but I don't believe it's feasible in the next 11 years, unless a very substantial shift happens in that period.

It honestly seems highly achievable.
Between The Parks, the Falcons, Stationlands (the one currently under construction) and Peak Tower alone, how many unites are we adding? 2000+?
Report made note of the fact that while there is a very high number of units currently under construction (well above normal) there is also a below average number of projects in the development permit/rezoning applications. After these are completed downtown is going be stagnant for a bit in terms of new towers.

Considering that the largest buildings in both the Falcon and The Parks are the second ones, I think we're not too far off from the 2000. That's around 7000 units to go... Seems like A LOT.
We'd need another 10~12 projects the size of the Falcon to meet that (not that I would complain about seeing another 20~24 towers DT), on top of the ones we're already getting.

What do we currently have in sight?
Second tower for Stationlands, the Williams Hall conversion, maybe the Shift.

There's a few very speculative projects that could happen, as well, mostly in the ICE District area, like the Westrich tower proposed to 103 ave, the one at the Affordable Storage building and the Connect Centre tower.

Even if all of these come to see the light, we're still VERY short. :(
Edmonton motors redevelopment could go in the near to mid term as well

If there is a chance Edmonton Motors gets going that would honestly be amazing. However it's been crickets with that project for a long time now.

At least we got phases two for Stationlands, the Parks and Falcon to look forward to but not having much in the pipeline besides those is a bit concerning.

Back