7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

Any word on this?
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 10.52.10 AM.png

Norquest's long term plans are in place and I doubt they have shifted -- these kinds of projects take time (and it doesn't help that the Prov's have buttoned down on support for post Secondary institutions. I think that they are still accepting donations.

Does anyone else think that the commercial real estate vacancy is a problem worth ignoring? If any energy that would be spent on that moves toward building density in downtown Edmonton, than the vacancy problem will eventually solve itself. Just don't expect new office towers anytime soon. And frankly, office towers don't build a pleasant urban environment. The office only areas in New York are places to avoid at night, for example.

Yeah, I don't know what it is here - that aversion to typical street front facing retail downtown, that you can still find in most other places. I've been around long enough to remember there were at least two street front facing A&W's downtown in Edmonton. I also recall one McDonalds on Jasper Ave with a street facing entrance, although that was in Oliver not the downtown core.

I don't have a problem with City Centre mall, but not everyone wants to take an escalator three levels up to grab a fast food meal in a place that is not open late. I expect the rent would be lower in a non food court place. Most other cities have both mall locations and street facing ones.

Does anyone else think that the commercial real estate vacancy is a problem worth ignoring? If any energy that would be spent on that moves toward building density in downtown Edmonton, than the vacancy problem will eventually solve itself. Just don't expect new office towers anytime soon. And frankly, office towers don't build a pleasant urban environment. The office only areas in New York are places to avoid at night, for example.
Don't ignore. Create an investment fund to bring new employers here.

What actually baffles me is the complete absence of any street facing urban format fast food restaurants in the core.
Like how is there not an A&W or Mcdonalds in a high visibility ground floor CRU?

It's not always about the nice restaurants, sometimes you just want some nuggies.
The Tim’s in Commerce Place is one, and it makes it quite evident why there isn’t more of it unfortunately

There is a Timmy Ho's in the SE corner of Jasper Ave and 107 St. It's always busy during the weekdays.
I wish the A&W that used to be located in the old Greyhound terminal was resurrected in the ICE District, preferably in the Stantec podium.
A Rotten Ronnies near the ICE District would be nice, now that the Commerce Place location has been closed since the COVID outbreak. I'd rather see that than another bank.

Reference ID:Job No 481702729-002
Description:Alteration of (an) existing building(s), Renewable Energy Systems
Plan 0721254 Blk 4 Lot 127A
Applicant:PLANWORKS ARCHITECTURE INC
Create Date:2023-08-18T14:22:22Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

A&W has really taken over in the urban cores + neighbourhoods of the larger centres like Toronto and Vancouver. They’ve kinda become the defacto fast-food burger joint in a lot of these places. Edmonton just has a drive-thru strip mall location on Whyte Ave that’s never busy.

McDonald's wanted to do a walk-up late night location in ICE District but Katz didn't want it.
So instead we get another bank! Thanks, Daryl!

Back