News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

The windows were actually replaced in 2018 believe it or not. Unless the window guy was back to knock out a few of the new windows.

July 2017 / October 2018
View attachment 161594 Couldn't find anything in the forum about the Canada Permanent Building, but walked by it today and saw all new windows which really bring that building back to life. There was a post on reddit from a year ago saying that the owner was restoring the interior for commercial use but no clear intended use. Has anyone heard anything recently?

I don't recall, what was the issue with the windows.

As for the renders, very very nice. Simple and elegant. I like that it is just added to the buildings beauty and not trying to change it. Hopefully there will be some simple and elegant lighting to showcase the building.

I am very curious "who" and "what type" of cuisine will be offered and whether fast food or upscale. Maybe the general retail on the 3rd floor provides a clue . The last time I was there it was the Japanese Village and I was sitting at a teppanyaki grill with friends. I don't recall the stairs to the second floor being a hindrance and iirc there were some tables on the 1st floor. I can't recall what was on the 3rd floor (although a Japanese Whiskey Bar would have been a good idea).

This is a reasonable start...
Work has already been underway since the pandemic began with more than $271 million of investment toward relief initiatives in the Downtown. This includes the city’s economic recovery construction grant, which to date has provided funding for seven construction projects with a value of $324 million and the creation of 1,254 residential units and 2,614 construction jobs.
Which seven projects would this be?

Work has already been underway since the pandemic began with more than $271 million of investment toward relief initiatives in the Downtown. This includes the city’s economic recovery construction grant, which to date has provided funding for seven construction projects with a value of $324 million and the creation of 1,254 residential units and 2,614 construction jobs.
Which seven projects would this be?

I wish these reporters would do some digging and tell us which projects they are talking about. If the money has been put there, can they not say which projects they actually are?

I wish these reporters would do some digging and tell us which projects they are talking about. If the money has been put there, can they not say which projects they actually are?

Agreed, the question should be asked.

So I did. I contacted the city representative who was quoted in the story and asked for the names of the projects.

I was told that info can't be shared yet because those 7 projects, although approved by the City, haven't had the service agreements signed yet. Given that these agreements aren't finalized yet, I wonder why the city gave such specifics on the value of the contracts, how many jobs will be created and how many residential units will be created.

I did learn one interesting thing. The city received 10 applications for this program. Seven were approved, one did not meet the qualifications and the other two are still under review. So it is possible up to 9 projects could be approved.

I imagine if a developer had their project approved, it is possible that they still might not go ahead but it would be great to see a lot of construction activity happening - especially with LRT work going on, the new central park etc. Could look very different in 5-6 years.

^
if we’re going to see another 9 projects downtown get underway concurrently, we don’t have much time to figure out a better way to deal with adjacent streets and sidewalks...
Do you mean the ones that are currently dug up? Soon the majority of downtown streets will be dirt and a navigators dream! 😊

Agreed, the question should be asked.

So I did. I contacted the city representative who was quoted in the story and asked for the names of the projects.

I was told that info can't be shared yet because those 7 projects, although approved by the City, haven't had the service agreements signed yet. Given that these agreements aren't finalized yet, I wonder why the city gave such specifics on the value of the contracts, how many jobs will be created and how many residential units will be created.

I did learn one interesting thing. The city received 10 applications for this program. Seven were approved, one did not meet the qualifications and the other two are still under review. So it is possible up to 9 projects could be approved.

I imagine if a developer had their project approved, it is possible that they still might not go ahead but it would be great to see a lot of construction activity happening - especially with LRT work going on, the new central park etc. Could look very different in 5-6 years.
That makes sense. Thanks for doing some digging.

Back