News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Crime

it was obvious 10 years ago that we had problems that needed to be addressed but considerable progress was brig made. we have lost that and more, mostly in the last 5, and we need to reverse the current trend quickly and sharply while there is still a base strong enough to build on.

^^We're no where near that. Crime is up, disorder is up for sure. The NYC phenomenon lasted 30 years for a variety of cultural/demographic reasons.

While crime in general has not be up due to COVID, homicides and gun violence in US have been. Particularly bad in core of cities like Portland and SF has lead to an increase in police funding in most major US cities. An interesting podcast, "refund the police" https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2022/01/14/refund-the-police

^^We're no where near that. Crime is up, disorder is up for sure. The NYC phenomenon lasted 30 years for a variety of cultural/demographic reasons.

While crime in general has not be up due to COVID, homicides and gun violence in US have been. Particularly bad in core of cities like Portland and SF has lead to an increase in police funding in most major US cities. An interesting podcast, "refund the police" https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2022/01/14/refund-the-police
i’m less sure that “crime in general has not been up due to covid”, at least in terms of being up as a result of the consequences and measures to combat it if not as a direct result. unfortunately i think other than things like homicide and gun violence that the reporting is down more than the incidences are down.

Another break-in to our 'secure 'parkade last night and from the sounds of it there have been multiple buildings hit in McKay Avenue in another wave over the last couple of days. From video evidence it looks like this is the same group and they look quite familiar from older events.

Sure it might be just a bike, but I am getting concerned about residents running into these folks given the odd hours folks are working, shift work and the like.

I'd really like to see EPS do a crackdown on this type of theft/crime/potential violence in multi-family buildings/properties in the core and Oliver.

These might be relatively minor in nature, but continue to give our residents another reason to move. People are getting fed up and either not reporting these incidents or looking at options to leave to areas where this is less regular; for it's not monthly anymore, but almost weekly that we are dealing with incidents.

It's incredibly frustrating/disappointing.

Last edited:
Surrey Whalley has really cleaned itself up in the matter of two years. Maybe the City of Edmonton and the Province need to stop being passengers on this train and look to do their jobs and implement strategies that will resolve the issues of crime and homelessness.

It borders on incompetence, when a community’s leaders cannot pick up a book or make some phone calls looking for inputs on success. It’s almost like they’re going through the motions?

Very unfortunate. I know the Chinatown business leaders for the past few hears have been trying to engage the city on these issues and there seems to be little willingness to help and it is driving out culture, business, and patrons.

We often go to Chinatown when in town, but rarely stroll anymore and have stopped going there in the evenings. It's that bad at certain times of the day and again, zero visible police presence. Most of our friends who would meet us for dim sum, pho, hot pot or BBT now ask us to come to the Westend or Southside as they simply do not feel safe there.

We often go to Chinatown when in town, but rarely stroll anymore and have stopped going there in the evenings. It's that bad at certain times of the day and again, zero visible police presence. Most of our friends who would meet us for dim sum, pho, hot pot or BBT now ask us to come to the Westend or Southside as they simply do not feel safe there.
Funny how there isn't much police presence given the City's police HQ is a mere two blocks away...

Further to the above...

Disorder, open drug use on private property, petty theft/crime and damage to property often have far more impact on an areas look, feel, perception, reputation than more significant crime.

Community constables that were as much there as traditional police as they were to meet those on the street, build relationships and go chat with business owners/employees is ABSOLUTELY missing from this pathetic response to very real issues/problems.

It's not about punishing those who are addicted, homeless or facing mental health issues, but rather support the entire area, have a visual presence for residents, business owners and visitors and to develop those relationships that beat officers of the past used to have.

The overwhelming positive comments from almost all parties from the correctly chosen officers who have had the right training used to be significant from folks in the Downtown.

I just do not get why we are not seeing more action. It's painstakingly slow and causing far more harm to a much wider group now.

It'll be interesting to see the documents associated with these items (for the Feb. 7 council meeting). Just thought I'd mention them here now in case anyone else is interested. It's nice that council will at least be talking about this issue directly.

6.3 LRT Safety (Public report)
Report to be distributed when available

7.6 Bylaw 19983 - Amending the Conduct of Transit Passengers Bylaw 8353 Amendment #4
Report to be distributed when available

Last edited:
The whole defund police, decriminalize petty offences argument has begun to seem very stale to me. Maybe in another time, it was the right way to look at a problem. Today it seems to have created so many problems and a responsibility-free zone for individuals. Many times people will rise to challenges if you just let them. They need something to live for, rules that make sense, and we need people to be aware that as a society we value safe and healthy environments, human achievement, and constructive actions. Not disorder and preying upon others.

Back