News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

That was shared with me by someone who works Downtown, could take transit but does not feel comfortable doing so because of their multiple negative experiences and he found this video sharing a lot of what he sees. As such, he (and many of his coworkers) who could take transit simply do not.

It breaks my heart to see people really struggling like is shown in that video (and all the more mad at the state of our city's social support), but I can still acknowledge how I feel discouraged to take the LRT/bus when I see these things in person as well. It's such a tearing feeling on the inside because I feel so privileged in having the ability to complain about just seeing or walking by people who are homeless/drug users, but is my feeling of being unsafe and not wanting to go downtown very much anymore not valid because of that? I don't know :confused:

Sure, but we need to retain all of our supporters as is and that aint happening.

EPS quietly pulled their Downtown (other areas as well) 'beats' 2-3 years ago now to redistribute the resources city-wide and do a more 'response approach' based on data.

While not the singular approach to success, having a visible presence in our Downtown (and other areas as well) would help.

Senior EPS staff told me verbatim that patrol officers were causing 'stress' to those most vulnerable on our streets and while I am sympathetic to that, the vast majority of the general public are now 'stressed' due to the ever declining feeling and reality of safety there.

I've been back Downtown for four days and honestly have yet to see any visible EPS/Constabulary presence and that's disappointing given what's evolving/taking place here.

Watched 3 guys try to break into multiple cars at the Budget/Matrix parking lots on 106-107st north of 100 today.

I recognize them and they are with Redd Alert.

Multiple people watching, nobody cared to say anything.

Guys walked off and into Corona LRT.

:(
DSC00992.JPG

How hard would it be to have the glass portions made of "gorilla glass" or laminated safety glass with a protective film that could simply be removed and replaced when vandalized.
That or print it on a sticky film/plastic that can be put on a solid structure instead of the fancy plastic/plexi that can be shattered. Can still put in overhead lighting on the sign, so it can be seen at night.

Back