News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Thoughts on the tradeoffs of private micro mobility companies vs city run bike share?

I still think a city run bike share would be a great addition this decade.
I don't think the city administration has the intellectual ability to pull off a city run bike share.

I would love a BIXI or CITI style system, but I only trust Lime to implement it.

City run bike share would be great. Could use Arc card (hopefully Arc app eventually) for a bike. It would make it easy to link bike and transit trips. It would be much more affordable than Lime.

Tricky part would be the implementation and operation. Also tricky would be whether there would be public support for funding such a program (at the moment I don’t think there would be.)

But if the City wants to meet its City Plan goal of 50% of trips being active or public transportation it would be a positive move for sure.

That's a lot of trips on top of the 250k trips from Bird - about 1.2 million trips logged when combined with Lime.

"Lime had e-scooters and e-bikes in 2023 that were only available in Edmonton. Still, the company said it logged 920,000 trips in 2023, nearly triple the amount of rides in 2022, and saw particularly high demand across the summer months. “Edmonton was one of the top cities not just in Canada, not just in North America, but in the world this summer,” Tugendrajch said.

Toronto and Montreal just have such good bike shares. And although we aren’t the same size, density, downtown pop, etc, I can’t imagine we don’t see good success even just from recreational river valley riding in the summer.

It’s also another key datapoint as we work for cycling to expand. Right now, we use silly data like “biking for commuting” in the census, or a handful of bike counters around the city. None of those are great. But growth in trips taken on a city bike share are a huge way to show demand and growth in usage.

That's a lot of trips on top of the 250k trips from Bird - about 1.2 million trips logged when combined with Lime.

"Lime had e-scooters and e-bikes in 2023 that were only available in Edmonton. Still, the company said it logged 920,000 trips in 2023, nearly triple the amount of rides in 2022, and saw particularly high demand across the summer months. “Edmonton was one of the top cities not just in Canada, not just in North America, but in the world this summer,” Tugendrajch said.
Sounds about right. I could not believe the amount of folks I saw riding around on Limes/Bird scooters, and of a variety of ages too—lots of middle age folks and not just young folks.

More lime scooters > more cars on the road

Frankly I’d love for some sort of city wide statistics on active transportation, like daily bike and scooter traffic on major routes in a really easy visual format.

Having that sort of information be easily accessible and easy to share would shut up some naysayers about this whole issue.

More lime scooters > more cars on the road

Frankly I’d love for some sort of city wide statistics on active transportation, like daily bike and scooter traffic on major routes in a really easy visual format.

Having that sort of information be easily accessible and easy to share would shut up some naysayers about this whole issue.
Some data here:

Used to be a monthly visual somewhere as well, but I can’t find that.

Some data here:

Used to be a monthly visual somewhere as well, but I can’t find that.
Oh heck yeah!

I do wish there were some visuals/map data of sorts that was easily digestible for the general public.

There used to be a very nice dashboard that was intended for the public and to share things such as this...

Tom at Shifter did an interesting video on Paris' cycle infrastructure transformation. There are lessons here for every North American city, including Edmonton.

Edmonton hosting Winter Cycling Conference today and tomorrow at Westin. Met officials from Finland as well as US (Anchorage, Minneapolis Boston) and Canada (Toronto, Montreal).

There was interesting presentation by officials from Canmore.

In 2015, they had a mode share of 15% for walking, biking, transit and in 2023 that increased to 32%.

Key things they did were adding new multi use paths and bike lanes, remodel some intersections, reduce some traffic lanes, and reduce speed limits to 30Km/hr on collector roads and some other locations.

One of the bolder moves however was eliminating free parking and instead offering free transit. The new parking revenue covers about 50% of what was lost from transit revenue.

Canmore residents do still get up to 3 hours of free parking per day in the main dt parking area using an app, but people can't just park their vehicles all day like previously.

Impressive to see increase in mode share for active transportation.

Also impressive was the story of Montreal's Bixi bike share program - 3rd largest in North America (NY is #1). Montreal's bike share is now all year round and in 2023 they achieved 11.5 million rides. They have 800 docking stations and average trip length is 3km and often coincides with other means of travel such as transit or walking to get to final destination.

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to hearing from Don Iveson. Sohi provided opening remarks today and shared funny story of growing up Alin India and riding his dad's bike that was way too big for him. Councillors Janz and Salvador were there all day.

Last edited:
How's the attendance at the Winter Cycling Conference? Think it will be an annual event?

Back