News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Food and postal deliveries alone would outnumber cyclists. Thousands of vehicles using the space as opposed to a handful of cycling enthusiasts.
Lived here for 3 years. Thousands of vehicles is an exaggeration that borders on being a joke.
It is also very clear how much more cyclists we have compared to what we had before. And not just people riding bikes on weekends, but regular commuters.

I do agree that the design choice was poor and we should've had the two bike lanes on the south side of the street, so that some loading zones could be maintained, as well as easier access for emergency vehicles. Parking, however, is unnecessary for residents and their visitors (I dare you to go and find a full visitor parking on the promenade buildings at any time of the day, any day of the week).

This street is not a major route for anything, it contains one of the best pedestrian oriented spaces in the area, connects with the River Valley, among other things. If there's a stretch of road in Oliver that should receive LESS vehicular traffic priority, please point that out for me.

Also, I cannot stand the whining from people whose only argument and solution for the city's traffic issues are: more lanes, more parking, more cars.
Well over 90% of our mobility infrastructure is exclusively dedicated to cars. While that might be good enough for suburban living and those who (incomprehensibly to me) choose that lifestyle, for urban dwellers that is not the case, especially (albeit not exclusively, before I'm called ageist) for younger generations.

The 99st connection from Jasper is FINALLY being completed.

Fe-vrDqaUAAZqg0

Biked to work for the first time due to winter tires being put on. From Snow Valley to Bonnie Doon. 90% MUPs, and 110 St and 83 Ave were sweet with the bike signals. Only had to stop once at lights. Only gripe is the cutouts from road to MUP in some of the older parts of the MUPs were to the side instead of the way of bike traffic. With leaves covering the curbs, biking with a light it would be very easy to go straight into a curb and launch. And it would be nice to have reflective strips on bollards and other infrastructure. Grey metal blends in with sidewalk cement really well. 28 minutes, non sweaty bike speed compared to 16 minutes by vehicle.

Biked to work for the first time due to winter tires being put on. From Snow Valley to Bonnie Doon. 90% MUPs, and 110 St and 83 Ave were sweet with the bike signals. Only had to stop once at lights. Only gripe is the cutouts from road to MUP in some of the older parts of the MUPs were to the side instead of the way of bike traffic. With leaves covering the curbs, biking with a light it would be very easy to go straight into a curb and launch. And it would be nice to have reflective strips on bollards and other infrastructure. Grey metal blends in with sidewalk cement really well. 28 minutes, non sweaty bike speed compared to 16 minutes by vehicle.

Love it!
@YEG imagineer Do you think you will do it again? How did you enjoy it?

I will from time to time. Unfortunately no covered bike storage or indoor storage where I bike to, so winter will be less likely.
having secure, public bike storage facilities would be such a huge benefit for getting more people out. I'm fortunate enough to have a locked biking garage downtown with work, and i use it practically every time I bike anywhere close to the core

having secure, public bike storage facilities would be such a huge benefit for getting more people out. I'm fortunate enough to have a locked biking garage downtown with work, and i use it practically every time I bike anywhere close to the core
Agreed. You might tolerate a wet bike at an exposed lockup if its just stopping somewhere for a few minutes, but if I'm taking it to work all day every day i want some peace of mind that my bike will be secure and dry when I'm about to head home.
Any large facility where you're expected to be for more than a few minutes ought to have a high quality bike lockup area available.

Last edited:
Yeah -- and how much are you willing to pay to park your bike there?
No charge! But we could pass it off as a bike shop which could lead to other businesses wanting to set up shop - bakery/coffee shop, hardware store, electronics, athletic wear!

Sometimes it just takes one to start a movement and Edmonton's bike community is willing to display our bikes in the window for free and $upport all the businesses that follow! 🚴🚴‍♀️

Last edited:
^^^^ Yes... proof of concept needed here. Find one building owner prepared to "donate" space for this or one retailer who would be moved by this concept and I will eat my shirt (I have one made out of tasty wheat biscuits).

^^^^ Yes... proof of concept needed here. Find one building owner prepared to "donate" space for this or one retailer who would be moved by this concept and I will eat my shirt (I have one made out of tasty wheat biscuits).

Wasn't really thinking it was a legit idea. Just having fun. But that said, bike parking is an emerging issue and as pointed out by some here and evident in analysis, lack of safe storage is a real factor preventing some people from riding as much as they would like.

Back