News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

As someone why bikes a lot, I parked here a month ago. Haha. Literally no signage, and its new construction, so there's uncertainty about the changes, mixed with seeing other cars parked, so I dont blame anyone thats parking there haha.

Also don't get why it's raised here, but around the corner is street level. No markings, signage, consistency. Just silly. Do better city.

It is a mixed use path I believe (walking/biking/rolling) so it needs to be raised. I'm guessing. I'm a bit confused on this one. The new signs will help, ha..

Last edited:
Not sure where else to post this, but the old Connors Road pedestrian bridge repurposing work is now complete, with the bridge in it's new location crossing the Blackmud Creek in the the current 111 St bridge area.

IMG_7027 copy.jpg

So I guess the current velodrome will be closed? Or will they maintain it at least for training?
This is how the CBC article describes it:

"The outdoor facility in Argyll Park in southeast Edmonton was nearing the end of its life back in 2004, he said.

The group has been working with the city ever since to find a new home for the facility.

'Otherwise, we would have lost it' Embury said."

So I don't think it'll be kept, unless someone's willing to put some money into repairs and renovations.

I think it was discussed years ago, but after the last major redevelopment the cost made it prohibitive. And talking with friends that have ridden the track, it really is in rough shape.

I don't think there is. Lighting is old. The track is basically concrete on a berm. The club house could be used for the BMX track next door. Its lived a good life. but not much left

Just want to ask for those who bike during winter if it hasn't been asked before - does the City's sand/salt application rough up your bike? Is there anything you can do to mitigate damage?
I find the most impact is on the chain and cassette, as those components are hard to keep dry and by their nature are exposed to the elements. Expect to replace a chain every year or two if riding often in the winter and maybe every 2-4 years for a cassette. I have a 'winter' and a '3-season' bike that lets me get a bit more life out of both, as I'm not riding just one year round (plus it lets me keep the studded winter tires on my winter bike).

Just want to ask for those who bike during winter if it hasn't been asked before - does the City's sand/salt application rough up your bike? Is there anything you can do to mitigate damage?
There's some good YouTube videos on cleaning your bike. I find it to be a lot of work though. So I use a broom to get a lot of snow off, keep up with degreasing and wet lube on chain. Then just accept that ill have to replace more often.

I have studded tires, big fan. I think a chain guard that insulates all the gears and chain would be super helpful in the winter though. Would probably save a lot of daily work.

The gear/clothing for winter riding is enough work already haha.

Back