News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Underpass. Probably exactly what will happen to University Ave.
I believe concerns were raised with a underpass and the ability to make it happen with a reasonable slope given a major pipeline running through the area.

Was it ever suggested that this would happen to University Ave? I'm all for that. And sorry do you mean the tracks go under the road or the road goes under the tracks?
I've never seen it suggested by anyone with the city, no. I'm just being speculative.

I would prefer a cut and cover train underpass, but I don't see how the disruption of the current line would be possible. I think either a street underpass, or closing the road to vehicle traffic are the only two options that make sense at this point.

Obviously option B is far cheaper.

I've never seen it suggested by anyone with the city, no. I'm just being speculative.

I would prefer a cut and cover train underpass, but I don't see how the disruption of the current line would be possible. I think either a street underpass, or closing the road to vehicle traffic are the only two options that make sense at this point.

Obviously option B is far cheaper.

Grade separation at University Ave is proposed in the 2020 Mass Transit Study:

• Increased LRT capacity across University Avenue, likely in the form of grade separation
or reconfiguration of the streets, would allow up to 24 trains per hour to operate through
this segment by facilitating the extension of the Metro Line terminus point to south
campus.

Would have liked to see a sidewalk/MUP added to the east side of 111 St across from Twin Brooks station between 9 and 12 Ave to fill that missing link... especially now that crossing tracks will be required to continue on the path. If you're on the east side you can at least take Running Creek Rd/the old 111 St to cross the creek.

"Slip lanes?"
These right turn things.
Intersections.jpg

They're often dangerous not only for pedestrians but also among other drivers. There's a high crash rate because of the deep shoulder check to the left required while in motion. Removing them completely would be the safest thing to do, but in suburbia where we do have to maintain traffic flow, modernizing them is a Goldilocks option.

As drivers approach the turn, the tighter turn forces them to slow down that'll give them time to react in their scan for cars coming from the left, vehicles yielding in front of them, or pedestrians crossing. If safe to do so, they can continue past the pedestrian crossing where their final scan for cars coming from the left involves a standard 90 degree check rather than a deep shoulder check. If not safe to proceed, there is ample waiting area that does not impede on pedestrian traffic behind them.

qTV7KEtzg1b5P7zoe8s7xgIvUPRM0sbgPzd58N5k00Sh1zGRWyfZUp_Oh4b2hvJwabKBzNrtYetr-Uc9IJBi4PlxK5LTk0q4

JPEG_SURREY_RD_BROWN.jpg

I just wish a bit more money could be allocated to speed up the processes.
Kind of difficult to. The construction industry as a whole has been extremely price volatile over the last 4 years. And this isn’t restricted to LRT, bridges, roadwork, utility, all of it has become more expensive.

Back