News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Its at least 2 stories under but is just under the surface as it crosses the road. It depends on what portion you are in. west side is higher that the central. east side is 15 to 20 ft down from the park surface. Its been about 5 years since I was last down.

ets_3002_3.jpg

I would've liked to have seen Clareview Station and the area in the 80s. A concrete platform with a couple of waiting shelters in a then fairly rural part of town. Sad that it wasn't an LRT station but rather the Anthony Henday Drive that's caused development in this area to explode. The extended Clareview Station Dr is open and all the lots along that stretch north of the station have been purchased, although construction hasn't started yet. I wonder why they haven't rerouted 107 and 117 down this new road yet, would easily shave 3 minutes off travel time heading into Clareview Station. The traffic lights at Manning Dr are awful.

clareview.JPG

I would've liked to have seen Clareview Station and the area in the 80s. A concrete platform with a couple of waiting shelters in a then fairly rural part of town. Sad that it wasn't an LRT station but rather the Anthony Henday Drive that's caused development in this area to explode. The extended Clareview Station Dr is open and all the lots along that stretch north of the station have been purchased, although construction hasn't started yet. I wonder why they haven't rerouted 107 and 117 down this new road yet, would easily shave 3 minutes off travel time heading into Clareview Station. The traffic lights at Manning Dr are awful.
Describing the far end of Clareview as almost rural in the 80's/early 90's is fairly accurate. I grew up there. The main station building/bus shelter was a big yellow metal box that connected to one end of the platform and really only provided protection from rain and wind. In the winter, unless you were standing directly under a radiant heater it was absolutely freezing in there, some days it felt colder in the shelter than outside of it. In the summer it turned into an easy bake oven.

I disagree however about the development. Was the development fast? No it wasn't. But it was pretty steady. Superstore was the first big box to go in and it slowly built up from there. Both right beside Clareview station and along 50th street.

What kicked it up a notch in my mind was not Henday, but when the housing went in between the station and 36 street. Especially all the condos/apartments.

Henday kicked of all the new stuff at the north east end of Manning for sure. But to my mind that isn't part of the Clareview station complex.

The page is due for an update, and I haven't actually linked to anything yet... but, there are pics of the original station.

That's amazing, thanks! Seems as I would have imagined.

Describing the far end of Clareview as almost rural in the 80's/early 90's is fairly accurate. I grew up there. The main station building/bus shelter was a big yellow metal box that connected to one end of the platform and really only provided protection from rain and wind. In the winter, unless you were standing directly under a radiant heater it was absolutely freezing in there, some days it felt colder in the shelter than outside of it. In the summer it turned into an easy bake oven.

I disagree however about the development. Was the development fast? No it wasn't. But it was pretty steady. Superstore was the first big box to go in and it slowly built up from there. Both right beside Clareview station and along 50th street.

What kicked it up a notch in my mind was not Henday, but when the housing went in between the station and 36 street. Especially all the condos/apartments.

Henday kicked of all the new stuff at the north east end of Manning for sure. But to my mind that isn't part of the Clareview station complex.
The Southern part of Ebbers is within a 10 minute walk from Clareview especially with the extension of Clareview Station Dr. There were three development permits issued that will provide 822 new dwelling units plus underground parking -- no eye sore surface parking. There's also land zoned for commercial. I'm just hoping it feels a little less suburban. Maybe something like Griesbach?

I'm surprised those stacked townhomes between the station and Clareview Rec Centre are over 20 years old, it looks recently built. I'm also surprised the pink condos across the street were built in the late 2000s. The design screams late 80s to early 90s.

That's amazing, thanks! Seems as I would have imagined.

The Southern part of Ebbers is within a 10 minute walk from Clareview especially with the extension of Clareview Station Dr. There were three development permits issued that will provide 822 new dwelling units plus underground parking -- no eye sore surface parking. There's also land zoned for commercial. I'm just hoping it feels a little less suburban. Maybe something like Griesbach?

I'm surprised those stacked townhomes between the station and Clareview Rec Centre are over 20 years old, it looks recently built. I'm also surprised the pink condos across the street were built in the late 2000s. The design screams late 80s to early 90s.
Its a ten minute walk now.

The west side of Clareview station didn't open till 2001. Before that there was no way to get to that side without going a long way round to what was a blank field/snow dump. Even after it opened it took a few years before development took off on that side.

I think the pink condo's got delayed both by economics and because they had to rebuild one of the north point condo buildings after it burned in a fire in the 90's.

They haven't even gone out for procurement. Hopefully there is a year-end update that provides more information...
They are due to finish the RFP in the next quarter- two JV were shortlisted: capital line design-builders (AECOM, AECON and Ledcor) and PCL-Graham south line solutions (PCL, Graham, Jacobs)

They are due to finish the RFP in the next quarter- two JV were shortlisted: capital line design-builders (AECOM, AECON and Ledcor) and PCL-Graham south line solutions (PCL, Graham, Jacobs)

The post was referring to LRV procurement, which has yet to be announced.

I like the vibe though, time to bring that colour scheme back around!
Everything comes back in fashion, so perhaps it will be soon (or at least probably before the future retail space opens).

Personally I think for public accountability all members of council should be made to stand in front of this sign holding a paper sign with the year on it, take a picture and have to post it on their twitter, or whatever its called now, pages.

Back