7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Around Edmonton

Northern pin oak
AA9B2FCB-82F0-4EC0-A685-B17AC3F015E1.jpeg

Mountain Ash with its plethora of winter-ripe red berries is also quite showy (not to mention that it also attracts birds). I also hope that there is an underground drip system for these young Oaks in that their root system draws sustenance from as much as 30 metres away from their stalk as they mature.

I don't think I've ever seen an oak variety that turns red in the fall, cool! I was never a fan of oak foliage in the fall before since I assumed they all just turned brown. The more reds we can get in the fall foliage here, the better.
There are two subspecies of oak red and white. Pin oak is a member of the red oak subspecies and their leaves generally turn red while the white yellow.

Mountain Ash with its plethora of winter-ripe red berries is also quite showy (not to mention that it also attracts birds). I also hope that there is an underground drip system for these young Oaks in that their root system draws sustenance from as much as 30 metres away from their stalk as they mature.
I love those Ash trees and it's hard to believe most I've seen here haven't even started changing colour yet! The red berries sure provide a great 'Christmas' atmosphere in December with snow on the ground.

^^^^ Incredible form! It doesn't look like the needles have begun to turn to their fall coloration yet. This should be a specimen tree with special designation (or not, in case some fool then takes it upon himself to damage it)

Back