7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Amazon in Edmonton

PERMIT_DATE June 24, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 13426 - 102 AVENUE SW
NEIGHBOURHOOD EDMONTON SOUTH CENTRAL
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to existing shell building - Initial Tenant Fit-Up for Amazon Distribution Centre.
BUILDING_TYPE Storage Buildings, Warehouses (460)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 112,400
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 4,500,000
Looks like it's in Remington's Discovery Park. Good to see. I think we'll see the lands between the airport explode with warehousing in the coming years.

PERMIT_DATE June 24, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 13426 - 102 AVENUE SW
NEIGHBOURHOOD EDMONTON SOUTH CENTRAL
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to existing shell building - Initial Tenant Fit-Up for Amazon Distribution Centre.
BUILDING_TYPE Storage Buildings, Warehouses (460)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 112,400
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 4,500,000

Description: To construct exterior alterations to the existing Industrial, Light Use building and to the Site (canopy (4013.41m2) facing 102 Ave. SW,; new Access to 135 St. SW; relocation of vehicular parking to the rear of the Site on 13410 102 Ave. SW; revisions to approved landscaping plan)
Permit date: July 14, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 13410 - 102 AVENUE SW
Neighbourhood: EDMONTON SOUTH CENTRAL
Zoning: ILES,ILES,ILES,ILES

Description: To construct a parking lot, Accessory to the existing Industrial, Light Use (parking lot expansion onto 13206 102 Ave. SW and 9715 135 St. SW and 13106 102 Ave SW, including landscaping - Amazon Distribution Centre)
Permit date: July 14, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 9715 - 135 STREET SW
Neighbourhood: EDMONTON SOUTH CENTRAL
Zoning: ILES,ILES,ILES,ILES

1594831511632.png

I thought they were going into ONE Properties' Border Business Park, but I guess that has changed?

Still are as far as I know. The signage is up on the other building already. Probably just an addition for rush deliveries with proximity to the airport and all.
2020-05-29.jpg

Last edited:
Edmonton's bid for Amazon HQ2 promised billions in labour cost savings
The Logic reports that Edmonton's secretive bid to secure Amazon's second headquarters promised $2.2 billion in labour cost savings and offered "18 incentives including funding for employee training, favourable options for acquiring municipal land, lease incentives, “direct support” for investments in building upgrades, and matching research and development funds for provincial programs designed to encourage drones, machine learning and autonomous vehicles."

The bid, developed by Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC) in collaboration with partners including the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton International Airport (EIA), has since been used to attract other companies, confirmed EEDC CEO Maggie Davison. “Either they get a break on their lease, or they get free rent for a couple of years, or they get help with construction. That's pretty common,” she said.

Edmonton's bid was submitted in October 2017 and the following year Amazon announced plans to build a $120 million warehouse in the Edmonton region that would employ 600 people. The new facility opened last month.

The report is paywalled, but in case anyone here already has a subscription:

@kcantor Thanks for that.

Interesting tidbit in there I wasn't aware of:

Edmonton has had quite a bit of success bringing in tech firms in the years since. In 2018, Amazon announced it would build a warehouse in the area that costs $120 million and will employ over 600 workers. The city’s tech labour pool rose 17 per cent over five years, reaching 25,200 staff by 2019, fuelled by companies like Jobber, Canadian Tire and Google’s Deepmind.

While that’s small compared to Toronto’s 250,000 tech workers, data compiled by CBRE suggest Edmonton is punching well above its weight. The city now has more tech employees than Waterloo and its workers make more on average. Its tech talent pool is also growing at a faster rate than Halifax, Winnipeg, or Ottawa.

Emphasis mine; those who aren't as in tune with the tech industry in Canada might not realize it, but that's actually a huge shift.

Last edited:
@kcantor Thanks for that.

Interesting tidbit in there I wasn't aware of:

Emphasis mine; those who aren't as in tune with the tech industry in Canada might not realize it, but that's actually a huge a shift.
kudos to the foip request that at least made this much information public.

i have said for years now (and it turns out that it was echoed by brad ferguson at the time) that our chances of winning this sales pitch might not be high (even though i can think of lots of other reasons it could have been from canadian immigration policy to a lack of natural disaster potential and a stable electrical grid etc.) but that should be secondary.

while i understand the need to keep detailed financial information confidential, edmonton's best pitch people are edmontonians and we all should have had everything in this package but the detailed financials so incorporate in our pitches whether in detailed proposals or simply in casual conversation. we all paid for it and should all be able to use it as the more successful we are doing that individually the better it is for edmonton.

Is that Amazon's fault, partially perhaps, but not fully. Many of these retailers didn't know how to 'pivot' and for the most part they had a.) Too many locations b.) We're late getting a decent online sales platform c.) Focused too much on expansion and rolling out X number of stores over general performance. Many factors behind this trend. But I can tell you this, the demand for these types of distribution centres is going to go up over the coming decades.

^^^^ The retail and hospitality malaise is global in nature but most specifically felt in North America -- 1st onslaught to small scale developments was the advent of so-called big-box stores, particularly the Walmarts and Sam's Clubs of the world. Now they in turn are getting knee-capped by the online mega giants led by Amazon. If you are fine with staring at "for lease" signs in ground floor made-for-tenant spaces and the crumbling nature of main streets from the same perspective then hooray for Amazon. Most (not all) sellers through Amazon have a huge distaste for this mega-monopoly but find themselves with few other alternatives if they wish to remain viable.

^^^^ The retail and hospitality malaise is global in nature but most specifically felt in North America -- 1st onslaught to small scale developments was the advent of so-called big-box stores, particularly the Walmarts and Sam's Clubs of the world. Now they in turn are getting knee-capped by the online mega giants led by Amazon. If you are fine with staring at "for lease" signs in ground floor made-for-tenant spaces and the crumbling nature of main streets from the same perspective then hooray for Amazon. Most (not all) sellers through Amazon have a huge distaste for this mega-monopoly but find themselves with few other alternatives if they wish to remain viable.
I guess my perspective is that retail is changing, much like it has in the past. Conform or be cast out. I can tell you that many of our tenants in our buildings aren't concerned about Amazon. Fine-grain retail will always be around.

Back