News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Alberta Politics

Also about 1915, Ukrainians were also considered enemy combatants during the War. A lot were interned. There is a memorial along Bow Valley Parkway.

My own family went from Schmidt to Smith. (however the name changed at every border crossing from Romania through Germany to Canada, and we came before WW2).

I don't know why I get surprised by these developments. Smith announced province is looking to support Calgary with its arena deal - money is obviously coming.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday afternoon, McIver said he will act as the Alberta government’s liaison on the arena talks, aiming to assist the city and CSEC as the parties require.

He said it’s too early to discuss a financial commitment, but said he expects the city to request provincial funding.

“Mayor Gondek wouldn’t be much of a mayor if she didn’t ask for money from the province,” McIver said.

“I think everyone will get something out of it. If the negotiations … are successful, all of Alberta will. I think it’s a very important part of the business climate here in Calgary.

I don't know why I get surprised by these developments. Smith announced province is looking to support Calgary with its arena deal - money is obviously coming.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday afternoon, McIver said he will act as the Alberta government’s liaison on the arena talks, aiming to assist the city and CSEC as the parties require.

He said it’s too early to discuss a financial commitment, but said he expects the city to request provincial funding.

“Mayor Gondek wouldn’t be much of a mayor if she didn’t ask for money from the province,” McIver said.

“I think everyone will get something out of it. If the negotiations … are successful, all of Alberta will. I think it’s a very important part of the business climate here in Calgary.
And so it begins with her……McIver is suggesting “all of Alberta” will benefit. Huh?! If they put money into this it will surely set a precedent on this kind of spending. We have hospitals crumbling and she’s worried “about filling those empty office towers”

But why do I care? New arena will never happen…..team has been sold to Houston. They’re just going through their “due dilligence” - Edwards and Bettman

Last edited:
Edmonton built Rogers Place with only the education tax money (CRL). Edmonton has had to fight for a lot of its provincial contributions for public projects.

It's bound to happen and provincial dollars will inevitably flow.

'team has been sold to Houston. They’re just going through their “due diligence” - Edwards and Bettman'

It's not out of the realm.

Figures.
When Edmonton wanted a new arena (now Rogers Place), they were told to piss off by the provincial government.
When Calgary wants a new arena, the provincial government wants to unload truckloads of our taxpayers' money for it.

The sooner this twit Danielle Smith is voted out of the Premier's office, the better.

And so it begins with her……McIver is suggesting “all of Alberta” will benefit. Huh?! If they put money into this it will surely set a precedent on this kind of spending. We have hospitals crumbling and she’s worried “about filling those empty office towers”

But why do I care? New arena will never happen…..team has been sold to Houston. They’re just going through their “due dilligence” - Edwards and Bettman
Amazing how dependent Calgary is becoming on gov't money. Certainly moreso than Edmonton, which you might think as the capital would tend to be the recipient of more government money. I have two theories - the first is that the Calgary oil and gas white collar employment situation is actually getting much worse (i.e. company cost controls), and that explains Calgary's almost desperate grab for all sorts of gov't handouts, and really loud messaging about how diversified they are. Are they covering up how bad it really is? The second theory is that Edmonton's largely private-sector driven growth over last 10 years is actually a bit of a tectonic shift that people haven't quite "caught up" to. With massive cuts to post-secondary and public sector, Edmonton just keeps growing. This is very interesting to me.

When I first heard this I was so upset I had to go for a walk. Remember when Smith was campaigning for the Wild Rose and had a big media event about pulling the funding for the new RAM? One thing I do have is a long memory.
I am not surprised but every time the conservatives pull a stunt like this I am gutted how can any political party in Canada be so blatantly biased and still claim to be representative of the people they govern?
when Smith was on the Calgary school board it was so dysfunctional the province had to fire everyone and take over. Can the feds do the same with this provincial government?

Amazing how dependent Calgary is becoming on gov't money. Certainly moreso than Edmonton, which you might think as the capital would tend to be the recipient of more government money. I have two theories - the first is that the Calgary oil and gas white collar employment situation is actually getting much worse (i.e. company cost controls), and that explains Calgary's almost desperate grab for all sorts of gov't handouts, and really loud messaging about how diversified they are. Are they covering up how bad it really is? The second theory is that Edmonton's largely private-sector driven growth over last 10 years is actually a bit of a tectonic shift that people haven't quite "caught up" to. With massive cuts to post-secondary and public sector, Edmonton just keeps growing. This is very interesting to me.
Couldn’t agree more…..their white collar exodus is way larger then their leading on…..coupled with all their chest thumping about some Asian companies setting up “centres” in their decimated DT is all smoke and mirrors. Our 50B+ future construction in the Heartland pays off in spades with massive high paying jobs amidst 1000’s of construction jobs.

When I first heard this I was so upset I had to go for a walk. Remember when Smith was campaigning for the Wild Rose and had a big media event about pulling the funding for the new RAM? One thing I do have is a long memory.
I am not surprised but every time the conservatives pull a stunt like this I am gutted how can any political party in Canada be so blatantly biased and still claim to be representative of the people they govern?
when Smith was on the Calgary school board it was so dysfunctional the province had to fire everyone and take over. Can the feds do the same with this provincial government?
Suggest to send a letter to Kaycee Madu who is Edmonton's UCP MLA on this. If enough people make the point that Edmonton needs to be treated fairly, that has to help a bit. Edmonton needs a downtown revitalization and there's a huge surplus.

My galaxy brain hot take is that Calgarians never got over the fact Edmonton was picked as the capital and politicians are quite happy to splash money around Calgary to make up for it.

I mean, I'm sure there is probably multiple factors going on and it's a surface level observation. But the few times I've been there this year I've caught myself looking at all the nice parks, buildings and public infrastructure vs Edmonton and thinking "oh this is where the oil money went".

If Smith wants a mandate she should call an election.

Bang on. Especially if she's going to introduce legislation that supposedly lets the province ignore federal laws her government doesn't agree with. It's not like the UCP ran on it when they won the election.

Premier Smith, that's a pretty big deal and might cause a constitutional crisis. You...uh...don't think we should vote on that?

Back