News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

while true - sadly - i think that's too narrow an interpretation.

the real gist of it is that she is still running for the legislature under the ucp banner.

this means that both danielle smith and the ucp are prepared to continue to condone and promote the holder of such odious views as a prospective member of their caucus.

this means that both danielle smith and the ucp either share johnson's odious views or they're prepared to sacrifice any and all principles they might hold that would oppose those views for the simple sake of attaining and maintaining power. neither of those things should be acceptable to any voter with a conscience and a sense of basic human and social decency.
Technically, probably too late to change the banner at this point, so yes. Even worse, I suspect this is really more a temporary suspension than a permanent ban.

Was it just me, but did Smiths comments again seem a bit imprecise about that?

So, I suspect this candidate will be quietly welcomed back into the fold some time after the election and the furor has died down.

Yesterday Danielle Smith said unequivocably that if Jennifer Johnson is elected, she will not sit as a member of the UCP caucus in the legislature.

Today, less that 24 hours later, Danielle Smith says that Johnson - who compared transgender students in schools to feces in food - would have “a lot of work to do” to find her way into the party’s caucus.
Smith then went on to say that she believes in redemption and second chances, but Johnson "would need to prove herself".

I wonder, should they both be elected, what the over/under will be on Johnson completing enough hard work in Smith's opinion to welcome her back for the fall sitting?

That would make it less than a year from having made those odious comments and less than half a year from those comments being exposed publicly to being back at the trough, oops, I mean back at the table.

I guess you don't have to be in formal breach of the Conflicts of Interest Act in order to demonstrate a lack of ethics...
🙁

Last edited:
I'd watch out Danielle, Hunter looks hungry and scary. You didn't really throw him much of a bone did you?

Maybe you meant to pose with Harvey the Hound instead, but were imprecise in your wording to whomever arranged this.
Like she almost forgot there was an “Edmonton” city in the province and only on advice from her press secretary. “Ms.Premiere, you really should acknowledge that Edm exists.”

Today in my neighborhood, the leader of the Alberta Green Party was door knocking. Pleasant fellow and his background and education would be very useful today. Don’t agree with everything on their platform, same as my opinion of the other parties. But must say, NDP parachuting candidates into ridings isn’t very enticing. Checked out the website and found out Jordan Wilkie is the grandson of Max Ward. Peaked my interest.

So much work to be done for those two. Smith researching how to interfere in matters of justice while not appearing to do so, and Johnson brushing up on her 'imprecise' language skills.

Yesterday Danielle Smith said unequivocably that if Janice Johnson is elected, she will not sit as a member of the UCP caucus in the legislature.

Today, less that 24 hours later, Danielle Smith says that Johnson - who compared transgender students in schools to feces in food - would have “a lot of work to do” to find her way into the party’s caucus.
Smith then went on to say that she believes in redemption and second chances, but Johnson "would need to prove herself".

I wonder, should they both be elected, what the over/under will be on Johnson completing enough hard work in Smith's opinion to welcome her back for the fall sitting?

That would make it less than a year from having made those odious comments and less than half a year from those comments being exposed publicly to being back at the trough, oops, I mean back at the table.

I guess you don't have to be in formal breach of the Conflicts of Interest Act in order to demonstrate a lack of ethics...
🙁

If you had bothered to provide any sources in your posts then you clearly meant Jennifer Johnson since Janice Johnson was a CBC reporter who died a few months ago.

If you had bothered to provide any sources in your posts then you clearly meant Jennifer Johnson since Janice Johnson was a CBC reporter who died a few months ago.

Yes Janice Johnston was a beloved fixture on Edmonton television screens for decades, first with CFRN TV News and then with CBC Edmonton for the remainder of her career. Many of us grew up watching her on the local news every evening.

thank you for catching that - it would be easy to blame it on fat fingers and autocorrect but it was much likely a brain cramp on the part of the typist. i have corrected it.

as for sources:

“I’ll also quickly note the synergy of the UCP campaign tactics and Take Back Alberta’s right-wing agenda driven field work. Take Back Alberta is training and building volunteer voters to engage in field tactics to push a very specific right-wing agenda. They are reinforcing the UCP’s defense/offense campaign that has the war room go dirty while clearly keeping local campaigns looking very clean, very professional and very above board.“

I didn’t write this, Jenn Prosser wrote it and regardless of anyone’s underlying political affiliation or inclination we should all pay attention to what she is saying and we should all be doing whatever we can to make sure Take Back Alberta is unsuccessful in implementing their agenda.

This isn’t a paranoid conspiracy theory - Take Back Alberta has been quite public and transparent about their objectives and how they intend to implement them.

And the only way to stop them is to refuse to vote for the party they already control and want you to vote for.

Notable to me that the NDP are getting some endorsements from prominent former Conservative politicians.

Former PC MLA and Cabinet Minister Doug Griffiths: https://rdnewsnow.com/2023/05/19/former-pc-cabinet-minister-endorses-two-ndp-candidates/

Former Lougheed Staffer and Harper Conservative MP Lee Richardson: https://www.policymagazine.ca/the-leap-alberta-conservative-lee-richardson-on-why-hes-voting-ndp/

Former Deputy Premier Thomas Lukaszuk: https://rdnewsnow.com/2023/05/19/fo...-endorses-cypress-medicine-hat-ndp-candidate/

Cool! So I guess she forgot about the city that keeps her employed. Where's our 1.2Billion? Oh wait, she's already got our votes.

Back