News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

Interesting article about Smith's ties to this oil lobby group and her subsequent pitch to use taxpayer money to clean up orphaned oil wells, something oil companies are legally required to do.

Regardless of which side of the political fence one is on, I really don't know how anyone defends this piece of policy? Especially in times when CNRL, IOL, Suncor, Ovintiv are all making literal billions in profit per quarter...

I also wonder about the market share of petroleum. When Alberta is announcing biodiesel and hydrogen facilities and solar and wind power projects, what will the demand for petroleum look like?

Smith used Quebec to try and trigger her anti-Quebec base, this move is all politics by her. Leave the city and corporation to figure out their own deal, the province has no stake in this.

Even if the Province decided to spend tax dollars to clean up a corporate mess (one Domtar should be paying for, they bought the company that spilled all the creosote), shovels likely won't be in the ground for an arena for another decade at least. I'm not sure the Saddledome has that long!

1676863636243.png

Sooo…

The cost of cleaning up abandoned wells was estimated by the Alberta Energy Regulator in 2018 to be $58,650,000,000 and that might well prove to be low. Whatever it is, it’s going to be a lot of money and one of the problems is that it’s hard to relate to that much money.

Danielle Smith’s R-Star program is now proposing that that cost - whatever it is - be borne by the taxpayers of Alberta through the forgiveness of royalty payments that would otherwise flow to the government of Alberta.

There are approximately 1,900,000 working Albertans. This amounts to every single working Albertan paying the equivalent of MORE THAN $30,000 OF THEIR HARD EARNED WAGES AS ADDITIONAL TAX DOLLARS to already profitable producing oil companies to do what they are already obligated to do!!!

No wonder the author concludes that “for the oil industry, having your lobbyist become premier could be a dream come true”.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/dishing-with-dkg-what-to-do-about-the-oilpatchs-orphan-wells

Back