News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Advanced Skills Centre | ?m | 4s | NAIT

chrisvazquez7

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like this might be NAIT's next expansion priority? Nestled between an existing building and a parkade between 106 and 109 Streets, north of 118 Ave.

advanced-skills-centre-5-1400x832.jpg
advanced-skills-centre-4-1400x832.jpg
advanced-skills-centre-3-1400x832.jpg
advanced-skills-centre-2-1400x832.jpg
advanced-skills-centre-1-1400x832.jpg

Awesome to see. While I'd also have loved to see expansion into Blatchford, I think their overall plan saves some of that for residences and plazas and such. Hopefully this build allows them to replace some of the offerings in the oldest part of the main campus, and eventually get to re-building some of that as well in the future.

I'm lost with this map illustration. Where exactly will this be? Is it heading north towards Yellowhead?

Saw your followup post but for anyone else looking for a quick reference. It's located on the former site of the ETS Westwood garage that was torn down a few years ago.

NAIT.png

This location will be better served by the second Blatchford lrt station I believe.
I went by NAIT just the other day, and the new station is quite close to this proposal.
On the side note, the current station was intended as temporary usage, but I hope it remains for connecting to the mall as the newly , almost finished, station is quite a walk to the mall.

The Kingsway/Royal Alex LRT station should be a closer walk to Kingsway Mall.

Yes, that's exactly right. Kingsway mall was vehemently against accommodating space for the LRT line. Later, they changed their tune.

When the Metro LRT line was being designed in the mid 2000s, Kingsway officials weren’t interested in having the line cross their property. Now they’ve told city administration they are interested. City staff included a proposal for a $88-million elevated track and new Kingsway station in a report for councillors Thursday about ways to ease traffic congestion.

The mall will do a market assessment to decide the right mix of new retail, office space and high-density residential, Denney said: “It’s a very exciting concept.”

At the time (same as for Southgate) the fear by Kingsway was that the "pauper class" (perceived ridership) would get attached to the Mall in a negative way from a status standpoint. Today the thinking is much different -- too late to make amends without divesting multiple millions of dollars. Shows how perceptions can change over time.

The Kingsway/Royal Alex LRT station should be a closer walk to Kingsway Mall.
Even that route is atrociously long. For someone young, it is a not problematic, but, for seniors and those with physical impediments, it is not fun.

Further to this, the temporary station is such a waste of money when all they had to do was go another 30:feet and maintain course. That amount of concrete was not cheap, but I guess our general tax payers are super rich I supposed.

Back