News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

50 Street Widening & CP Rail Grade Separation

The city estimates the cost of the 50 Street Widening and Railway Grade Separation project will be 41% over budget, up to $145 million from $103 million, due to a major design change requiring an overpass. According to Jason Meliefste, branch manager of infrastructure and delivery, the City of Edmonton has about 275 capital projects underway and the most recent review showed more than 96% were on budget. - Taproot
It's going to council tomorrow

currently deal with this every day to and from work. That crossing is atrocious. CP shunts there constantly, including during rush hour, which is madness on 50th. Also, this is a really important corridor for freight and industrial traffic, not just commuters like myself. there are large semis getting caught by the train. it's negatively impacting a lot of the business in the area. 50th is industrial all the way from Capilano to the Whitemud, with a lot of manufacturing and shipping companies relying on it to get goods in and out. as much as I don't want roads getting so much priority, the area is very important economically.
The new price is crazy high, I'm disappointed to read that. but there needs to be a separation here, for the sake of Edmonton's industry.

I think that this segment of 50 Street would be an important truck route. For example, Gretzky Drive-98 Avenue-50 Street could accommodate truck traffic down to Whitemud and Sherwood Park Freeway. Argyll-75 Street could also be kept as a truck route. 90 Avenue and 75 Street (Argyll-90 Avenue) could be taken off as truck routes.

Guaranteed all said and done this is a $200m project. Almost makes the Yellowhead expansion look like a bargain.

Project Update - May 2022​

• Utility relocation, drainage work on the northeast service road and construction of the detour roadway have been completed. In 2022, EPCOR Water, EPCOR Distribution and Transmission, Shaw, Telus, and ATCO Gas will be working in the area. Once the utilities have completed their work, the reconstruction of the road will begin. It is anticipated that the road work will be completed in 2022.
  • Construction of the northbound overpass begins in early May 2022 and is anticipated to be open to traffic in 2024. Once this structure is built, traffic will be detoured onto this bridge so that work can begin on the southbound structure. Construction on the southbound section of the overpass is anticipated to be completed in 2025.
  • During construction, 4 lanes of traffic (2 lanes in each direction) will continue to flow on 50 Street. Both northbound and southbound vehicles will use the west side of 50 Street while construction of the overpass is underway on the east side.
We thank everyone for their patience while construction of the overpass is underway.

Construction Newsletter
Construction Bulletin

Back