News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

10921 - JASPER AVENUE NW -

If there was ever a desire to continue the rail line deeper into downtown along its historic corridor, it seems like this lot should be protected. Once a large building is put up, cross Jasper above ground likely won't be possible.
Thank goodness that shared path and park are very popular

If there was ever a desire to continue the rail line deeper into downtown along its historic corridor, it seems like this lot should be protected. Once a large building is put up, cross Jasper above ground likely won't be possible.

They dug up the CPR rail line, demolished the bridge across Jasper Ave, and created the Railtown Park sometime during the late 80s or early 90s. They had 30 years to extend the rail line to MacEwan but they didn't. Anyone who opposes this development because of a rail line that never got extended during those 30 years - I say "well that's tough" and "sucks to be you".

P.S. please rename the thread title to "Railtown Lofts".

One thing this project will make more obvious is the overlapping alley and bike path. Here’s hoping that whole thing gets repaved as part of this and makes it a bit safer and smoother.

^easily would have worked with both as per the high level line plans.
As someone who drives the streetcars, that plan was sadly very unrealistic. Off the top of my head, they drew the streetcar in the tunnel half the width that they actually are, meaning a path actually cannot fit there. Also, they didn't separate people and streetcars on the top deck, and one of the drawings even shows someone on the track distracted by the view of the river as a streetcar bears down on them. And that drawing also didn't include the inevitable suicide barriers. Also, they drew in a bunch of rail-based merchant carts that I think they expected the society to just... tow in and store in their very small streetcar barn every night. And this isn't relevant to the topic, but the drawings showed the track taking a bunch of random zig bags and dead ends.

All that's to say, the streetcars were used as artistic props, and safe integration was not a consideration that got factored in. I love the paths and use them myself, but you have no idea how often we almost hit people who cut us off while biking or walking, walk on the track even though there's a path right beside them, or even pose on the track for photoshoots while we're literally driving toward them. Often pedestrians have earbuds or headphones and don't even hear our bells - we need to use our horns on them to avoid close calls. I'm not saying the idea was impossible, but the HLL lost a lot of credibility in my eyes by not taking safe integration seriously.

Tunnelling the capital line westbound? Would a single level of underground parking prohibit that kind of expansion? It might I dunno.

Back