News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

107 Ave Revitalization - 101-122 Streets

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
107 Ave Revitalization - 101-122 Streets

Project Overview

Improvements to 107 Avenue have been identified through the Neighbourhood Revitalization Program. A comprehensive Urban Design Analysis for the communities was completed and shared with Edmontonians in February 2017. Following extensive consultation with a variety of community stakeholders, this analysis suggested improvements that would support the overarching goals of the program which include:

Developing safer communities
Create beautiful neighbourhoods
Build a dynamic economic environment
Connect our community

My only concern with this revitalization is making damn sure construction doesn't begin until after the Valley Line LRT is fully operational. I posted that in the Insight survey in capital letters!

Good Lord -- did you look at the solutions they are proposing. The City seems to be where Creativity has gone to die. This survey nearly brings me to tears.
on the corner of 105 and 107ave, why put in a raised crossing rather than just take out the advance turn onto 107ave?? why do we need max vehicle speed on the corner of a pedestrian park

Amem, brother. I've been preaching this for ages. If we got all turning lanes replaced by bike lanes we'd have the best bike network in North America
whats so ridiculous is that, by just removing the centre lane and narrowing the rest of the car lanes (which we absolutely have wide enough roads to do so), we would have enough space for a 2 way bike lane on each side of the road ( i dont mean have 2 way bike lanes on either side, just saying we would have enough width to do so). Or what also I think would be fantastic (maybe even better) is have 1 lane in each direction for traffic, and then a left turning lane that alternates which side of the road its for. And then middle sections of the road between left turn lanes, a median is put in to house for street trees. I hope that made sense lol but, one way or another a road diet is so overdue at this point

My only concern with this revitalization is making damn sure construction doesn't begin until after the Valley Line LRT is fully operational. I posted that in the Insight survey in capital letters!
why do you say this?

Having the 107 Ave revitalization occur at the same time as the Valley Line LRT under construction along Stony Plain Road and 104 Ave c/w closure of the bridge over Groat Road will greatly limit access between downtown and the west-end.

whats so ridiculous is that, by just removing the centre lane and narrowing the rest of the car lanes (which we absolutely have wide enough roads to do so), we would have enough space for a 2 way bike lane on each side of the road ( i dont mean have 2 way bike lanes on either side, just saying we would have enough width to do so). Or what also I think would be fantastic (maybe even better) is have 1 lane in each direction for traffic, and then a left turning lane that alternates which side of the road its for. And then middle sections of the road between left turn lanes, a median is put in to house for street trees. I hope that made sense lol but, one way or another a road diet is so overdue at this point
I'll tell you what, it is as if you had read my mind! But I would get rid of turning lanes altogether and use the extra space (other than the media and bike lane) to make larger, safer sidewalks, decent bus stops and areas for patios.
I bloody HATE left turns, both as a driver and from an urban/traffic planning perspective.

These are all great ideas, make sure you follow Gronk's lead and fill out the survey!! I know these ideas might be controversial, but by golly the city needs to hear them from multiple people.

Back