ICE District Phase 2 | 149.95m | ?s | ICE District Prop.

tl;dr An urban village at Ice District in central Edmonton — 2,500 residential units and a public park — is now expected to take at least three years longer to build than previously planned.
And yet, the Parks, Falcon Tower, Stationlands residential tower, Mercury 1, the Laurent. And the further starting or started already: the Parks 2, Mercury 2, the new development in Old Strathcona, etc...

So now what's the excuse, Katz Group spin doctors.

And yet, the Parks, Falcon Tower, Stationlands residential tower, Mercury 1, the Laurent. And the further starting or started already: the Parks 2, Mercury 2, the new development in Old Strathcona, etc...

So now what's the excuse, Katz Group spin doctors
See this is why I wanted the Aldritt proposal to actually break ground, we’d actually get a skyscraper/development measuring contest between two billionaires

Where will this potential new smaller stadium go? On ice district lands I wonder?
I don't see where on ICE district lands, if they still want to develop the 2nd phase.
Unless the own more land north of Rogers than I remember, which could potentially work out.

Personally, I think a full renovation of the Commonwealth is not only possible, but the best option. This could include adding a roof, a full outer enclosure, extensive upgrade to the amenities, transforming the surrounding area into a big plaza between the LRT station and the stadium, that could host fan fests and other events.

It would be something in the scale of what many German and Brazilian stadiums did for the 2006 and 2014 FIFA World Cups, respectively, with impressive results. And this model of renovation has been tested time and time again for almost two decades, at this point, and has been very successful.

A downtown football stadium next to Rogers Place would be ideal imo. Something like Winnipeg's stadium, or a smaller version of Baylor's McLane stadium would be great.

Commonwealth stadium is in need of VERY significant work to become a competitive CFL stadium again (demolition of upper decks, brand new concourses, a reshaping of the lower bowl, bringing the seats closer to the field, etc). I have no doubt that it would be far cheaper to build an appropriately sized stadium DT than it will be to bring commonwealth to modern CFL or MLS standards.

With the team for sale, I'm sure OEG is taking a look at this as an option. It would be another solid anchor ensuring they own entertainment around the Ice District year round.

A downtown football stadium next to Rogers Place would be ideal imo. Something like Winnipeg's stadium, or a smaller version of Baylor's McLane stadium would be great.

Commonwealth stadium is in need of VERY significant work to become a competitive CFL stadium again (demolition of upper decks, brand new concourses, a reshaping of the lower bowl, bringing the seats closer to the field, etc). I have no doubt that it would be far cheaper to build an appropriately sized stadium DT than it will be to bring commonwealth to modern CFL or MLS standards.

With the team for sale, I'm sure OEG is taking a look at this as an option. It would be another solid anchor ensuring they own entertainment around the Ice District year round.
If the Elks/City choose to build a new stadium, Winnipeg's or Saskatchewan are the perfect example of what they should be looking at.

I don't see where on ICE district lands, if they still want to develop the 2nd phase.
Unless the own more land north of Rogers than I remember, which could potentially work out.

Personally, I think a full renovation of the Commonwealth is not only possible, but the best option. This could include adding a roof, a full outer enclosure, extensive upgrade to the amenities, transforming the surrounding area into a big plaza between the LRT station and the stadium, that could host fan fests and other events.

It would be something in the scale of what many German and Brazilian stadiums did for the 2006 and 2014 FIFA World Cups, respectively, with impressive results. And this model of renovation has been tested time and time again for almost two decades, at this point, and has been very successful.
I am skeptical the UCP will show Edmonton the money so I eagerly wait for this. Covering demolition cost of the old coliseum would be great and its not that expensive, so that should be an easy one.

There has been talk over the years about adding a roof to Commonwealth and it would be great if that were to happen. It is still one of the largest facilities in Canada and allowing it to be used throughout more of the year makes sense. It is well located on a major LRT line, not far from downtown and the area near it is being developed. Winnipeg and Regina are much smaller cities and were replacing older, smaller stadiums, so their situation something different.

IMO it would be best if ICE District stuck to its original plan and the area north of it was developed as residential. I understand there are costs for infrastructure related to that which need to be covered, so if the province could help with that, that would be great too.

I suspect North of Rogers isn't an option if Ice District 2.0 is serious unless OEG buys the Elks and gets the right deal maybe they find benefit some way in doing it there. North of MacEwan was another thought but maybe the university is looking to eventually develop in that direction and this would take up too much of that land although having a facility next-door could serve some benefit to them. I always go back to the Quarters area and what about that. Is there benefit being closer to the convention center etc... Will be interesting to find out who the new Elks owner will be and what their vision looks like.

Looking at comparable situations, I can't see a new stadium being the preferred path forward.

Recent New Stadiums:
- Winnipeg, capacity ~33,000, cost $210 million (began const. 2010)
- Saskatchewan, capacity ~33,000, cost $278 million (began const. 2014)
- Toronto/BMO Field, capacity ~31,000 expandable to 40,000, cost something over $200 million when considering various renos, not including work for World Cup
- Hamilton, capacity ~23,000, cost $145 million (began const. 2012)

So if we are looking at a new stadium at or above 40,000 capacity which I assume is what they'd aim for, then the cost is likely $500 million+. Doubt there is appetite within the City org for that kind of expenditure and is well above the comparable provincial funds for Calgary.

However, looking at recent renos:
- Toronto/Rogers Centre is undergoing a $300 million Reno which is quite extensive (and nice!) which also includes removing some seats.
- BC Place underwent an extensive Reno for the Olympics in 2010 at a cost of $150 million.

A renovation similar to Rogers Centre in Toronto may be more responsible and a better bang for your buck. Improve the existing facilities, consider removing some seats or make it easier to use less like BC Place does during events. It's located on the right transit line too and is still close to downtown which quite a bit of TOD occurring nearby. The capacity is an asset for large events and would be tough to give up when you already have it. Nevermind the costs of demoing the existing Commonwealth.

Mosaic Stadium is the perfect size for CFL and concerts.

But do we really need a new stadium? I mean if the province really wants to pay for one sure but so many competing priorities and municipalities can barely pay the bills as it is. We desperately need the province to help with per-door concrete highrise costs to get some development going Downtown.

New stadium and major renos should be out of the question. The CFL is a dying league and other major events that occupy Commonwealth are far too few and far in between given our limited season.

Minor improvements and good maintenance upgrades for Commonwealth, and spend the capital dollars on other assets. Especially if it's $300m from the GoA.

Back