News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

Salaries don't really tell the whole story though given their total compensation packages and that delta, which I think a fair given the size of the 'company' and associated responsibilities, but what are their metrics of success and KPIs?

I don’t think you can use “affordability pressures” as a justification for not paying people what they’re due. Are CSU members not Edmontonians also facing those same pressures, especially with years of inflation and zero raises?

Statement from City Council on the strike action.

City admin is being offered 7.25% over 5 years.

City council, by comparison, has had around 5.5% wage increase in the past 5 years.

Screenshot_20240312-211108_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
City admin is being offered 7.25% over 5 years.

City council, by comparison, has had around 5.5% wage increase in the past 5 years.

View attachment 547753
This comparison is wrong. The union took 0% in 2019 and 2020. The city’s “best” offer includes 0% in 2021, 1% in 2022, and 2% in 2023. So if you comparable apples to apples, council is 5.5% increase over the last 5 years vs a touch over 3% for the union.

I know this was a planned raise for them but, man, the optics look bad.

Whoever does their PR for City Council dropped the ball here. You want the people who vote for you to keep voting for you yet they announce this while dicking around CSU52 members.

What a cluster-f!

This comparison is wrong. The union took 0% in 2019 and 2020. The city’s “best” offer includes 0% in 2021, 1% in 2022, and 2% in 2023. So if you comparable apples to apples, council is 5.5% increase over the last 5 years vs a touch over 3% for the union.

Confusing. Where does the 7.25% over 5 years being reported come from?

Confusing. Where does the 7.25% over 5 years being reported come from?
I believe from the City of Edmonton. An average of 1.45% per year really doesn't sound so great, so I believe they are using the 5 year total to try make it sound better.

However, it seems a bit misleading and I don't think was helping negotiations.

Also it helps when comparing 5 year periods to use the same 5 year periods. I believe Council's 5.5% was from 2019-23, the staff wages offered of 7.25% is for 2021-25.

I'm not sure if the City's communication staff was being sloppy here or trying to mislead.

I don't think what you're putting forward is quite apples to apples...

A councilor's salary and the mayor's salary "are what they are". There is no moving from councilor step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4 to step 5 to councilor step 6. likewise for the mayor.

The difference between a step 1 and a step 6 union salary can be 25% or more and those increments are available to individual union members even without an overall contract increases (i.e. they're available within a 0% contract increase). The only salaries that actually get frozen in a 0% increase would be those at step 6 on the scale.

I don't think what you're putting forward is quite apples to apples...

A councilor's salary and the mayor's salary "are what they are". There is no moving from councilor step 1 to step 2 to step 3 to step 4 to step 5 to councilor step 6. likewise for the mayor.

The difference between a step 1 and a step 6 union salary can be 25% or more and those increments are available to individual union members even without an overall contract increases (i.e. they're available within a 0% contract increase). The only salaries that actually get frozen in a 0% increase would be those at step 6 on the scale.
Yes this is a fair point. My numbers are from a top wage perspective I guess you could say

Back