Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Looks like some kind of cleanup activity at the site today.
C13DF827-E184-486C-A939-4A9C40BFFB0A.jpeg

Hopefully means something is going to happen here? Probably not though, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to something like a temporary park or plaza going into this space until somebody can pick it up and do something with it. As long as we don't have an empty inaccessible eyesore on of the most high profile corners in the city, right along the new LRT line. Actually, if it became a permanent park/plaza that wouldn't be terrible either, though maybe not the most productive use of high value land but would at least give a bit of life to this part of downtown which feels very foreboding and uninviting as a pedestrian at the moment. Maybe it could become a place to park food trucks or something. Just spit balling.

Hopefully means something is going to happen here? Probably not though, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to something like a temporary park or plaza going into this space until somebody can pick it up and do something with it. As long as we don't have an empty inaccessible eyesore on of the most high profile corners in the city, right along the new LRT line. Actually, if it became a permanent park/plaza that wouldn't be terrible either, though maybe not the most productive use of high value land but would at least give a bit of life to this part of downtown which feels very foreboding and uninviting as a pedestrian at the moment. Maybe it could become a place to park food trucks or something. Just spit balling.

The pickleball and b-ball courts planned for 105 st and 102 Ave before it got axed for lrt work could go here instead. The city should approach Regency about it. Activate space temporarily at least before something goes in.

^public infrastructure on private land? I think various insurance companies would have something to say about that. Now if the city bought the land from regency...but no, there's churchill square literally one short block away.

^public infrastructure on private land? I think various insurance companies would have something to say about that. Now if the city bought the land from regency...but no, there's churchill square literally one short block away.
There is a dog park on ICE District lands, why couldn't there be a park on this land as well? Also, the park is mostly as a temporary solution, providing some utility to this prime land until someone decides to build something there, certainly a lot better than an empty concrete slab. It's close to Churchill but there's nothing wrong with having more green / active space in a city is there?

There is a basement under the mess, so that needs to be removed before anything can be done yet. I hope Regency builds a purpose built rental tower on the property instead of trying to build offices.

it works pretty well at jasper and 100 as well as at jasper and 102…

I asked the office of Anne Stevenson if higher tax rates for derelict properties can be applied to the Tower 101 site:

As far as I am aware, the Derelict Property subclass would not be applied to those sites. The Derelict Property subclass is only applied to residential zoned land, so the BMO site would be excluded, and specifically plots with a structure that has become derelict. It does not apply to vacant lots that have been fully demolished like the Arlington.

Last edited:
Why did they only go half way? They are encouraging owners to demolish the derelict buildings for a lower tax rate. Fucking stupid.
Because politicians have the attention span of gnats, so they don't really fix problems they just respond to whatever is being discussed at the moment and leave the thinking to the administration, who tend to prefer not doing anything.

Back