News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Safety

I'm not sure where to fall on this one. If it's not ever enforced then people just make a habit of doing it and maybe at some point it turns into a injury or death. With low floor streetcar like systems and no barriers I wouldn't have really expected there to be a rule against crossing the tracks but don't know enough to speak competently on it.

I'm not sure where to fall on this one. If it's not ever enforced then people just make a habit of doing it and maybe at some point it turns into a injury or death. With low floor streetcar like systems and no barriers I wouldn't have really expected there to be a rule against crossing the tracks but don't know enough to speak competently on it.

If they are going to do this, which I don't love, was there a period of time where warnings were given out first at least?

Ticketing people for doing this literally is the antithesis to what this system is designed to be….

This is insane…. Are you telling me
that people along 83rd street cant cross the road in their community because there are tracks there now. Get a grip.

Every intersection is a crosswalk unless there are signs prohibiting it. Low floor was chosen because of its ability to integrate with communities without barriers, so by that standard someone should be able to cross on 79 Ave, 80 Ave, and 81 Ave as they did before. If not, they should fence it off and provide something alternative at 80 Ave because 4 blocks is a long stretch on foot. 71 Ave used to have a marked crosswalk and it's one of the few areas that's blocked with landscaping.

If they really don't want people to cross in certain areas they should put up fences. I think they feel they must regulate things like the high floor line even though they pushed this line as something very different than the old train and its right of way.
I agree the concern is valid, particularly in an area with more people and pedestrian activity like downtown. However, we can't protect everyone from their own stupidity.

I would hope that people will take some care and have an awareness before crossing. However, if this becomes a problem then we may need to look at what needs to be done to deal with it, such as fencing.

Back