7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

The CBC news piece is about 2 or 3 months old but it's now nationwide

1702670473177.png

I stayed downtown for a couple of nights and walked around a lot. One general observation that hit me is that downtown is still extremely car-oriented. The traffic, more than anything else, makes it fairly unpleasant to walk.

I stayed downtown for a couple of nights and walked around a lot. One general observation that hit me is that downtown is still extremely car-oriented. The traffic, more than anything else, makes it fairly unpleasant to walk.

Very much so. The roadways are so big - moreso than what's needed. The pics shared above of Oliver vs. DT really highlight that. When streets are designed for cars to pass through as efficiently and quickly as possible, walking and other forms of transportation will be sacrificed as well the walkable experience and pleasant streetscapes.

It's often commented that we don't have the foot traffic, but we reap what we sew. You build and prioritize an area for cars and that's what you are more apt to get - people driving in and through to visit, but less pleasant to live.

Some great pics have been shared here and in another thread showcasing what's needed to turn things around. The sooner the better.

What’s interesting to me is that we actually have way less traffic than Vancouver and Toronto. Those downtowns are often bumper to bumper, light to light. Alley crossings get blocked constantly, people run reds or get stuck in intersections.

But what makes them still better is that the streets are smaller. 2-4 lanes at max, and rarely left turning lanes. So the area feels tighter and has that nice enclosed, urban feel. Our streets are often 4-8 lanes wide and we have a ton of holes in our “street walls”, making the area feel barren and boring vs busy and lively.

What’s interesting to me is that we actually have way less traffic than Vancouver and Toronto. Those downtowns are often bumper to bumper, light to light. Alley crossings get blocked constantly, people run reds or get stuck in intersections.

But what makes them still better is that the streets are smaller. 2-4 lanes at max, and rarely left turning lanes. So the area feels tighter and has that nice enclosed, urban feel. Our streets are often 4-8 lanes wide and we have a ton of holes in our “street walls”, making the area feel barren and boring vs busy and lively.
Examples from Van. Would love to see us narrow more roads, widen sidewalks, add street parking, have boulevards, plant more trees, bike lanes, etc.

0BB57656-57A0-4448-898C-AFF5099F6899.png8DB0E2E7-6CC3-4844-B8E3-99491508D671.png23997D26-0534-4BB7-AE6F-1DF5505027C2.pngC01EA0F0-394D-47BD-B92F-4CAF25C67631.png92AD4E2E-8F3E-43B6-B2C7-C8DBC6BEE3A8.pngF6E2B1F7-996F-4D51-86B0-0B3EDB67C8BA.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 8.32.49 AM.png

Official for the Phipps McKinnon:

Reference ID: Job No 493669379-002
Description: To convert a portion of an existing Office building to a Residential Use buiding in the form of a Multi-unit Housing (3/F: Amenity Area and 4/F to 10/F: 91 Dwellings), and to construct interior and exterior alterations (The Phipps-McKinnon Building).
Plan F Lots 36-38
Applicant: ARC STUDIO
Create Date: 2023-12-07T11:50:02Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Sometimes I feel like I am shouting into the wind, but here are two thoughts on this:

1. One of the biggest issues for the downtown in Edmonton is the cost of SFH, which is much lower than other cities. Why would a person buy a condo in the centre when they can still afford a larger house? There are some people who truly like urban living, but I can guarantee you that many people scrimping to afford a condo in Toronto would kill to be able to buy an entire house. Downtown will only really hit its stride when people are forced to choose between long commutes or a central condo.

2. Urban design isn't perfect in Edmonton, but the city has come a very long way in the past 10 years. Almost every neighbourhood renewal has included road diets, wider sidewalks and bike lanes. The real problem is arterials, which seem to get refurbished much more slowly and leave a bad impression if you only ever drive around the city.
The cost of SFH is an issue but really not the biggest problem. Downtown living can have a lot of appeal for instance for people that want to walk to work or to nearby stores. Oh I forgot, not lot of corporate offices downtown here and currently lots and lots of empty store fronts. If you are going to have to drive to the Bay, Simons, H&M, Old Navy or McDonalds anyways, why live downtown?

Urban design is also not a big problem. Nice sidewalks don't attract people to live downtown, jobs and a good variety nearby goods and services do. I realize these are harder things to fix than a road, but until we do, downtown Edmonton will continue to struggle.

Take for example areas an area where money has been spent to improve the street scape on 103 Ave between 100 and 101 St. Is is any more lively, has anything changed other than wider sidewalks and some benches? Nope

The conceit of urban planning is actually one of the reasons the real problems fail to get addressed.

Also the bike lane on 106 Street going south of Jasper Ave - to the west remain several parking lots, a restaurant that doesn't seem to be open much any more, a car rental place recently closed and an office building that remains almost empty.

I'm not against improvements on their own merits, but the idea that they will magically transform the area around them has often turned out to be wrong.

Take for example areas an area where money has been spent to improve the street scape on 103 Ave between 100 and 101 St. Is is any more lively, has anything changed other than wider sidewalks and some benches? Nope

The conceit of urban planning is actually one of the reasons the real problems fail to get addressed.
But it's a vast improvement over the previous streetscape and an important connection between our Arts/Civic Centre and Entertainment Districts.

I suppose an improvement but if that doesn't result in a corresponding improvement to the area then it is really wasted money. The large surface parking lot remains and nothing new has opened in the area or has been developed.

If anything the more limited availability of street front parking and disruption from construction has probably hurt the few remaining existing retail businesses there.

Curious to hear the reaction to it.

Our building had 2 units recently pulled 'due to inactivity'.

Back