News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton and the play for post-secondary educational relevance

archited

Member Bio
Reaction score
Edmonton is well situated for gaining (or expanding) a reputation as a premier college town -- aggressive campus expansion plans are in the works for the University of Alberta, the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, MacEwan University, NorQuest College, Concordia University, King's University, and a number of smaller specialized institutions. The effect that these expansions will have on the core of the City is noteworthy. Taking each, one at a time, allows us to look at possibilities both within each institution and without, looking at the broader urban implications for urbanism and the growth of the City. We can begin with MacEwan University that has been in the news recently with its Business building (noted as 1E on the following diagrams) at 105th Avenue and 109th Street and expand from there.

Last edited:
The following provides a diagrammatic outline of MacEwan University's Expansion plans over the next two decades...
Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 2.31.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 2.27.28 PM.png

The structural development of MacEwan campus places a strong emphasis on a centre-west expansion. As noted under the 'Buildings' heading on this site the new Business faculty expansion proposes a 7-storey classroom structure and a similar mid-rise (4-9 storeys) mapping for new buildings to the west across 109th street, filling in the existing surface parking lots as construction expansion proceeds (along 105th Avenue). After completion of the Business Centre there is then room for four more major structures, all of which will add very interesting frontage elevations to Columbia Avenue and work to spur housing developments (a continuing phenomenon) to the North. Coincidental with the improvements that the City of Edmonton has proposed/is making to 105th Avenue there is a short term sense that Columbia Avenue is destined to become one of the more interesting pedestrian-oriented throughways in the City, somewhat akin to the narrow el pasaje in Europe.
Also notable on the accompanying map are the demarcations for 'Landmark Sites'. There are 3 noted on 109th Street, suggesting that MacEwan U. is giving prominence to that thoroughfare as a main campus hub -- a gateway to the University if you like. Two further decades in, I could well imagine MacEwan U. expanding northward along 109th Street thereby further lending that route prominence from a campus perspective.
One other notable on this map is the potential demolition of the central campus parking structure, once razed, turning it into a green quad that also abuts 109th Street. These developments, when realized, are sure to give Mac. U. for Edmonton a similar presence and import afforded the NYU campus in New York City.
Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 2.14.12 PM.png

Classic 'college towns' are smaller in population with the populations of students being incredibly significant economic drivers with school-time populations at 20-30-40-50% of the town's populations.

As MacEwan U. strives to attain an enrollment goal of 30,000 in a City Central degree-granting institution within the next 7 year stretch, there is going to be a need for supportive infrastructure -- including housing, student-oriented retail and entertainment venues, and basic shopping and business services. It is another impetus for development in the downtown core.

If you've been down around MacEwan since September it is noticeably busier than I've ever seen it before. I still think that if H&M or Uniqlo or similar took a chance on downtown it would do well—Ice District or in one of the Fox CRUs. Street level and easy to get to for people who live, work, and/or attend school in the area.

If you've been down around MacEwan since September it is noticeably busier than I've ever seen it before. I still think that if H&M or Uniqlo or similar took a chance on downtown it would do well—Ice District or in one of the Fox CRUs. Street level and easy to get to for people who live, work, and/or attend school in the area.
Probably reorienting some services/retail towards a younger/student crowd in downtown would work wonders. An H&M or a Uniqlo right by VLW in downtown (or my ultimate dream, a streetfacing CRU in a renovated City Centre on 102 Ave) would be amazing.

I would love to see a survey done on MacEwan students and how often they actually venture off of campus and into the depths of DT. I suspect 104 acts as a serious barrier, especially during winter, and the lack of any meaningful retail on the south side of 104 doesn't help to entice many to leave campus beyond going to Tim Hortons/Best Buy west of 109.

The Subway in Quest couldn't even survive, nor really any of the other tenants that have been there aside from the smoke shop, that to me is quite telling. I suspect safety issues of downtown (perceived or otherwise) also keep a lot of students on campus so the dreams of a Uniqulo or H&M in the Fox CRUs is a pipedream.

Doesn't mean there can't be success in the future but there needs to be some sort of joint effort between MacEwan and perhaps DBA/CoE to make it actually appealing + convenient to leave campus and into downtown.

I would love to see a survey done on MacEwan students and how often they actually venture off of campus and into the depths of DT. I suspect 104 acts as a serious barrier, especially during winter, and the lack of any meaningful retail on the south side of 104 doesn't help to entice many to leave campus beyond going to Tim Hortons/Best Buy west of 109.

The Subway in Quest couldn't even survive, nor really any of the other tenants that have been there aside from the smoke shop, that to me is quite telling. I suspect safety issues of downtown (perceived or otherwise) also keep a lot of students on campus so the dreams of a Uniqulo or H&M in the Fox CRUs is a pipedream.

Doesn't mean there can't be success in the future but there needs to be some sort of joint effort between MacEwan and perhaps DBA/CoE to make it actually appealing + convenient to leave campus and into downtown.
Well there's a Subway literally IN MacEwan so that likely explains that one. I also think a retail clothing store geared to young adults would do more to draw people off-campus before/between/after classes than any fast food place, hair salon, or whatever else Quest has had in its podium would. Food needs have already been met on campus and nearby.

Safety (especially perceived) is definitely still a concern. It could probably start with Edmontonians not talking about DT like it's an active war zone and to be avoided at all costs. The amount of times I've seen posts on Reddit, Twitter, etc. of visitors asking about Edmonton only to read responses telling them to rent a car and avoid DT is absolutely infuriating. We should be focusing on getting people downtown instead of avoiding it—things will never change without active participation in actually supporting businesses that are trying to make a go of it.

The gap between 105-109st and 103-104ave is a large "hole" that keeps macewan and our CBD disconnected. I'm hopeful that the warehouse park and LRT projects will create more connections and pedestrian friendly areas. Then we need some good developments in that area too.

I'd be interested where Macewan students live. What their residence pop is, how many live downtown or within ~2kms, how many rent elsewhere in the city, how many live with parents and drive/transit in.

We have a high number of students for the size of our city (not being a "college town" like waterloo/kingston types), which is great. But we're also very much a commuter culture, even with our schools. Macewan's current design somewhat encourages this, but hopefully more common spaces, a sense of parks/a quad, a more vibrant DT will keep students closer to campus vs just busing in and out from 10am to 2pm.

Love the plans they have. Interested to see how long the build out takes.

@archited any thoughts on Norquest? Aren't they almost 12k+ students? They feel like a bit of a sleeper, forgotten in the shadow of UofA/Macewan, but their land/development potential will really help our DT in the next decades. Don't they own some parcels west of 108st?

Well there's a Subway literally IN MacEwan so that likely explains that one. I also think a retail clothing store geared to young adults would do more to draw people off-campus before/between/after classes than any fast food place, hair salon, or whatever else Quest has had in its podium would. Food needs have already been met on campus and nearby.

Safety (especially perceived) is definitely still a concern. It could probably start with Edmontonians not talking about DT like it's an active war zone and to be avoided at all costs. The amount of times I've seen posts on Reddit, Twitter, etc. of visitors asking about Edmonton only to read responses telling them to rent a car and avoid DT is absolutely infuriating. We should be focusing on getting people downtown instead of avoiding it—things will never change without active participation in actually supporting businesses that are trying to make a go of it.
Yes, unfortunately the stereotype sticks mostly to downtown. The most recent horrific violent crime here, was no where near downtown, but yet the suburban area where it happened is probably still perceived as safer.

Classic 'college towns' are smaller in population with the populations of students being incredibly significant economic drivers with school-time populations at 20-30-40-50% of the town's populations.
Montreal is (was) a renowned university city, that doesnt fit that bill. Im not sure you can transcribe the USA norm of a “college town” and transcribe it to Canada.

Back