News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Miscellaneous

Church on 155st and 98ave. Wish it had a public coffee shop or something included too. Would have been cool.

9DE47395-3A52-433C-B076-D5049EEE595D.jpeg

Church on 155st and 98ave. Wish it had a public coffee shop or something included too. Would have been cool.

View attachment 513152
Although that would be cool, that’s a Jesus bylaw not to sell things in church. If I remember my Roman Catholic education correctly he overthrew some tables when he saw people selling stuff where people pray.

Although that would be cool, that’s a Jesus bylaw not to sell things in church. If I remember my Roman Catholic education correctly he overthrew some tables when he saw people selling stuff where people pray.
Haha. Jesus bylaw is a fun name.

Most churches have coffee actually, and lots sell them. Very common to at least have it for their own gatherings on Sundays. But lots also have daycares, coffee shops, or other sorts of “commercial” functions that they operate. There’s legal structures that can separate some of the functions and charitable statuses for example.

And the Jesus flipping tables is actually more about oppression/fraud/scamming of foreigners and the poor than just about the selling of stuff in a religious area. Jesus was mad that “religious people” were overcharging immigrants for sacrificial animals that made pilgrimage to the temple. Sort of like how the Catholic Church used to sell indulgences. But I digress haha.

Just would be sweet for buildings like this to interface with the broader neighborhood a bit more, and coffee shops are a model I’ve seen used.

Rollie Miles rec centre - survey deadline is Nov 1

Rollie-Miles-Rec-Centre-aerial-view-from-southwest-800x494.jpg

this looks like the exact kind of things i was looking forward to with the ZBR
I've been thinking I wonder how many small scale projects are sitting in developers, builders or landowners back pocket right now.
Anyone in the know can see what the bylaw would allow, and knowing how soon it is now it's probably better to wait until it's in effect than fuss and futz over a rezoning and a pile of variances.

Why build a 3-plex today when you can build an 8-plex with a CRU next year?

Anybody know what is going on at 7601 112 Ave in Virginia Park? The old countertop store that has been sitting empty for years.

Looks like its been gutted inside but I couldn't find a permit. All that showed up was a coffee shop listing on Restaurant Guru from September 2023. https://restaurantguru.com/Nuestra-Edmonton

View attachment 514112
A friend of a friend is opening this, here is their Instagram page: https://instagram.com/nuestra_coffee_shop?igshid=MWp0dDJxZTZ0OG1iOQ==

A bit of an odd placement for density, it does kinda give the vibe of "this is where the poors shall live". I guess keeping in mind how much more St. Albert is planning on expanding westbound it probably won't be so out of place in a decade or so and Ray gibbons is a pretty good connector to the city. Just a bit disheartening that it's not along st albert trail or planning ahead for a future LRT connection option.

The downtown area is still incredibly underutilized so many dumpy little single story buildings could be replaced with density and like an entire empty lot from a mall that seems stuck in limbo for decades. A downtown exclusively for moderately well to do seniors is still a snoozefest, turns out they don't keep business going.

A bit of an odd placement for density, it does kinda give the vibe of "this is where the poors shall live". I guess keeping in mind how much more St. Albert is planning on expanding westbound it probably won't be so out of place in a decade or so and Ray gibbons is a pretty good connector to the city. Just a bit disheartening that it's not along st albert trail or planning ahead for a future LRT connection option.

The downtown area is still incredibly underutilized so many dumpy little single story buildings could be replaced with density and like an entire empty lot from a mall that seems stuck in limbo for decades. A downtown exclusively for moderately well to do seniors is still a snoozefest, turns out they don't keep business going.
I don't know if the intention is for it to be the ghetto for the local less fortunate, but yes it would make so much more sense to build something bigger like that downtown, so people could live in a more walk able area and be closer to transit and it would probably help them make their downtown better and more vibrant. But, sometimes development and good planning do not go together ... sigh.

Back