Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
^Millions of square feet of suburban retail has been added in the last 10-20 years. Our suburbs have grown over 50% in the last 25 years, much less dense city.
Due to the higher density targets for new suburbs I think the growth in suburbs has resulted in increased average density, not decreased.

But the question was about retail space. Are there any current stats on per capita retail space?

I doubt that. 50% increase in suburbs would lead to an average decrease in density, not increase. But as our core densifies and more infill could partly offset this, I'm sure we're still way less dense than we should be.

I doubt that. 50% increase in suburbs would lead to an average decrease in density, not increase. But as our core densifies and more infill could partly offset this, I'm sure we're still way less dense than we should be.
Suburbs over the last 25 years (your timeframe) are significantly denser than the 1950-2000 suburbs. By, like, a lot.

Suburbs over the last 25 years (your timeframe) are significantly denser than the 1950-2000 suburbs. By, like, a lot.
Yeah, the main problem with our post-Y2K suburbs isn't the density levels. It's the car-centric design mixed with inferior build quality and aesthetic. I will say one thing Edmonton's newer suburbs do really well is MUPs that connect the irregular road patterns into what is in many areas, for pedestrians, a semi-grid. Even having walking trails is something most North American cities don't have in their new suburbs, or if they do, it's rather limited. Still, it's not like we're building Dutch-style suburbs, either.

I shared a graphic within the last year but I'm not sure which thread or where I saved it, but I definitely remember Edmonton was highlighted as the top Canadian city in terms of its increase in density.

There’s also the difference of tracking density by homes vs population.

A major part of the decrease in central community populations is simply household sizes. Averages of 4-6 are now 2-3. Partially due to empty nesters and widows. Partially due to smaller households in general and less kids in families these days. Partially due to housing stock/preferences of young couples and families…and where we have built great schools, rec centres, and family attracting amenities.

Areas like Lewis estates will likely see populations fall soon as it ages. Areas like Bonnie doon and Grovenor will likely see increases as elderly people leave/pass and new families move in and raise kids.

But densifying the old areas is key too. And duplexes/skinnies/garage suites won’t move the needle much. We need a few apartments in most old suburbs and lots of townhomes to really increase densities to that of new suburbs.

I was in Coffee Bureau today on Jasper Ave and mentioned that I missed going there now that I moved offices into the ID area. They said they were looking at ID at one point but couldn't make things work with the LL. Too bad they couldn't make it work, but I get it from both sides.

ID pursued a bunch of 'hip' local brands/spots to join them, but from my discussions folks were pretty far apart.

What's missing in ICE?
---
How much time do you have?

-insurance agencies
-tax preparation companies
-registries

"Entertainment District" activities 😭

A lot lot. Yields are intense.

Edmonton has gone from ~15-20 units/ha to 40-50 and now upwards of 60+ in many suburban areas if you factor in the blend of zoning and types of housing.
I think density and a mix of housing types are the only areas where Canadian suburbs are doing decently well, maybe with marginally better SUP networks too.

Other than that, suburbs are still auto-centric conglomerations of placeless environments. The first priority of all cities should be urban intensification, after which suburbs should be built heavily around public transit and cycling networks. Allow cars access is fine, but making them the main mode of transport creates soulless places.

Oh yeah this is the Connect Centre thread. I hope CWB builds a big mixed-use building here, I think it'd make the most sense given the area they're in.

Back