Iron Horse Line / Station Park | ?m | 6s | Beljan Development | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Page 10 had updated plans. The space closest to Whyte was municipal reserve, which I think was removed, but is still park space with discretionary uses.

Wonder what happened to the residential project south of MKT.
I think the residential is still happening, just as a second phase.

Very much so; especially given the rise in their costs due to shipping needs.
i’m not sure it’s due to a rise in the cost of the containers due to shipping needs. the demand is on the other side of the pacific and the costs to ship them back empty are still an impediment.

my guess is the real impediment to repurposing them for anything over a single floor are likely meeting building code and construction criteria for fire separation and utility/servicing/hvac distribution and the cost of doing so in conjunction with limited ceiling heights etc.

Maybe, but it's pretty incentive to the gem south of it. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, concept, replacement of a dead space, but it feels imposing.
Have you walked by it? It's not imposing at all. In fact, I'd say it provides a great street-wall along Gateway making it feel more 'urban', which is appropriate given its context. This will be another game-changing development for that part of Whyte imo. And the north view from the third floor beer hall will be mint!

Looking more like a steel frame structure than an actual container park
The shipping containers will be located on the former park site.

The original plan was to use shipping containers on the three-storey building (and a lot of design work went into that) but there were a lot of technical challenges/concerns with meeting building/energy code items, etc. Given the time constraints, the decision was made to pivot to a conventional steel-frame structure.

I still like it even though it is different than the original idea. I went by yesterday afternoon and got a good look.

While it seems a bit close/tight to the street, I think when the construction stuff is removed it will be fine.

For those of you who kept whining about the building being too close to the street

20230416_125702.jpg

20230416_125726.jpg

20230416_125742.jpg

Keep in mind that the new Gateway Blvd renewal (which will be constructed next season) will alter that existing turnbay and create a wider sidewalk zone between the new curb and building up to 81 Avenue.
Good to know, yes that would help a lot. It is a quite busy road, so it would be good to have a bit more space, wider sidewalk.

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 468705563-002
Description:To operate a Bar and Neighbourhood Pub and to construct interior alterations to an approved Development Permit (Reference DP# 417337843-012, Station Lands)
Plan 2320141 Blk L Lot 2B
8115 - GATEWAY BOULEVARD NW
Plan 2320141 Blk L Lot 2A
Applicant:BELVAN GROUP OF COMPANIES LTD
Create Date:2023/04/07
Neighbourhood:CPR IRVINE

Back