News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Ray Gibbon Drive

Ray Gibbon Drive twinning from McKenney Ave to the Enjoy Centre is coming along quite nicely, including the new bridge over the Sturgeon River. I anticipate the opening to occur before year end.

BTW I wanted to turn onto Villeneuve Road to get to Ray Gibbon Drive but they have closed this road for some reason, so I had to take the long and winding Giroux Road instead. I look forward to hearing from @Airboy, who is our resident expert on all things pertaining to St. Albert.

Last edited:
Villeneuve road should be open, Meadowview is closed so they can rebuild the intersection. The bridge deck went in fast. Precast sections with the side barriers.
Update Villeneuve road at St Albert Trail intersection is being rebuilt. This project has been taking 3 years to do and they look like they are on Dub Time. Start late in the year and get caught by the weather.

Last edited:
The twinning from McKenney Ave to the Enjoy Centre is done - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the new road opens on Monday or in early November.

Villeneuve Road is still closed.

Last edited:
Just drove on the new road! Intersection at McKenney is still a mess, but it's close. This was so badly needed for years...

McKenny Ave is being updated right now. They may get a few more days in but construction season for roads ends on the weekend. McKenny is all that is holding it up right now. There will be groundwork next spring but mostly land scaping and putting cubs in where the cross overs were.

Drove Ray Gibbon Drive from 137 Ave/LeClair Way to Villeneuve Road this afternoon. I love the twinned section all the way to McKenney Ave. Next steps are to complete the twinning to Villeneuve Road and extend this road to Hwy 2. They should also consider revamping the McKenney, Giroux and Villeneuve intersections.

Villeneuve Road did reopen since this thread was last updated. There are now two roundabouts instead of traffic lights, which is good.

Drove Ray Gibbon Drive from 137 Ave/LeClair Way to Villeneuve Road this afternoon. I love the twinned section all the way to McKenney Ave. Next steps are to complete the twinning to Villeneuve Road and extend this road to Hwy 2. They should also consider revamping the McKenney, Giroux and Villeneuve intersections.

Villeneuve Road did reopen since this thread was last updated. There are now two roundabouts instead of traffic lights, which is good.
Drive Ray Gibbons every single day... twinning that was loooooooooooong overdue! So much better.
I also like St. Albert adding more roundabouts. They are using them in new developments and in redevelopments as you noted, by the Walmart, which used to be a major cluster

I wonder if there would ever be some provincial cash available to help get Ray Gibbon up to Highway 2. The west side of St. Albert is very busy with new and growing neighborhoods.

I wonder if there would ever be some provincial cash available to help get Ray Gibbon up to Highway 2. The west side of St. Albert is very busy with new and growing neighborhoods.
Would also be a nice bypass of St. Albert Trail if going into Edmonton from the north.

Not in the foreseeable future. Could get it from and PC or NDP gov and will definitely not see it with the UCP.
There is plans to extend 127st all the way up as well. If they could build an interchange on the north side and tie them all in together that would cut traffic on St AL trail down by half.

Interested to hear more about this. Another article suggests these funds will be used to connect Hwy 2 to Ray Gibbon and Anthony Henday.....maybe future land acquisition from where it currently terminates in N. St Albert

1709916769328.png

Interested to hear more about this. Another article suggests these funds will be used to connect Hwy 2 to Ray Gibbon and Anthony Henday.....maybe future land acquisition from where it currently terminates in N. St Albert

View attachment 546764
That Brain surgery ward went form over 100 mil down to half. Dialog must be getting pissed. All of their projects are getting degraded.

The money for Ray gibbons will only take it up to Giroux Road. It would be nice if there was money to go right to Highway 2.

Great vid. Been a great road for St. Albert and maybe down the line it could be easy to grade separate the intersections with so few of them. Just a minor note, if this is your video, the arrows for McKenney and Meadowview are backwards I believe.
Thanks

Yup my vid. Unfortunately if it is incorrect I'll have to change it on the next video.

Back