News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

Detroit 2.0..... I been calling it since oil started crashing in 2014 that it's going to get real bad if governments don't do something about it. Well.... imho at this point any traction in the right direction was obliterated by Covid and the way Trudeau's government dealt with it.

We're in for a looooong ride...
Blame Trudeau good one. Give it a break

Here is what David Shepherd said to me on April 12, 2022

"As the local MLA I’ve been keeping in close touch with the EDBA, frontline agencies, the local community leagues & our city representatives on the ongoing challenges for our downtown and have been advocating re: the need for housing & resources to address the ongoing drug poisoning crisis.

And I have been pushing our team re: a plan/strategy similar to what we just released for Calgary. I’m happy to say the work on that is underway with me, Janis Irwin, Deron Bilous & Joe Ceci.

It’s my hope we’ll have something to say on that sooner rather than later."

It's so nice to know Edmonton elected NDP MLAs to develop a Calgary plan and that we're still waiting on the Edmonton version. I'm not knocking that they did a plan for the city to the south full of cabinet ministers, but would expect at least equal attention here.
Sohi wants UCP to treat Edmonton equally - well I think that goes for the NDP, too.
And it's not that an NDP plan is going to solve our problems, but who is advocating on our behalf provincially?
Just heard back from MLA Shepherd on this because I messaged him for an update.
His response:

"Thanks for reaching out to follow up on this.

I'm continuing to work with our caucus team to develop our proposal/plan to help revitalize our downtown.

The work was supposed to begin in the fall, but was unfortunately delayed. We have a limited amount of resources in our caucus office and our staff have to navigate around a number of priorities as the political landscape in the province evolves."

The work was supposed to begin in the fall, but was unfortunately delayed. We have a limited amount of resources in our caucus office and our staff have to navigate around a number of priorities as the political landscape in the province evolves."
Since there is a Calgary downtown response plan by the NDP and not an Edmonton plan over a year later, is it safe to assume Edmonton's downtown isnt a priority given that statement?

A good reminder that a NDP led government isn't going to be some silver bullet to save the day of all our problems.

The other choice's strategy is "let it rot and blame them for it". Pick your poison

T
Since there is a Calgary downtown response plan by the NDP and not an Edmonton plan over a year later, is it safe to assume Edmonton's downtown isnt a priority given that statement?

The NDP would only have a handful of MLAs and limited resources if it wasn't for Edmonton so it's a kick in the teeth, punch in the gut, slap in the face etc, to have them prioritize a plan down south and then say resources are lacking for one here.

In 2023, downtown Edmonton is losing Tres Carnales, Rostizado, Deep Mind, Sport Chek, Atmosphere and possibly Winners - and it's only January. Who knows how many more businesses will be lost? How many more punches can downtown Edmonton take?

So many things I could say about these closures but for now just my hope that they shutter major parts of the mall to reduce disorder and security costs, consolidate what they got to make a part of the mall feel busier, and focus on the future.

In 2023, downtown Edmonton is losing Tres Carnales, Rostizado, Deep Mind, Sport Chek, Atmosphere and possibly Winners - and it's only January. Who knows how many more businesses will be lost? How many more punches can downtown Edmonton take?
I think we're finally seeing the causalities of reduced pedestrian traffic Downtown after 2 years of restrictions and work-from-home. Best guess right now is 20,000 workers on an average day. 60,000 pre-COVID. With security issues on top, is a perfect storm for retail closures.

I just really hope our hospitality scene, which has been a bright spot since the recession of 2014, thrives.

I fear we might also lose our only downtown movie theatre. Isn't Best Buy set to leave fairly soon as well? The concern is when an individual living downtown doesn't have an option to do some normal things like get their skates sharpened at Sport Chek (does anywhere else downtown have skate sharpening?) albeit a small thing just makes the math of living downtown that much less favorable. I love the city center Landmark theatre and if that goes (purely speculation) that is another less thing not only for those coming from outside downtown but particularly those that live there.

This is certainly just venting (which is what we mostly do on this site right?) but I wish there was some magical answer to turn this thing around.

^Ya, it might get worse before it gets better. No magical solutions right now although there's a lot of people that care about what happens next.

T

The NDP would only have a handful of MLAs and limited resources if it wasn't for Edmonton so it's a kick in the teeth, punch in the gut, slap in the face etc, to have them prioritize a plan down south and then say resources are lacking for one here.
They've already released a downtown Calgary revitalization plan. It is clear they're focusing their political efforts on their weak areas to ensure they don't remain a handful of MLAs. I can't blame them for that.

^Ya, it might get worse before it gets better. No magical solutions right now although there's a lot of people that care about what happens next.
What worries me about it getting worse before it gets better, is that it implies the situation gets better which further implies that there is some sort of catalyst for change. Who or what is that catalyst for change?

I applaud the Downtown Recovery Council, who unfortunately has stepped up to form in place of a leadership vacuum on downtown issues. But they can only advocate for change. There are so many things the city (and a lot of issues are not limited to the city i.e. mental health) needs to do from basic measures including cleanliness, maintenance, police presence, interfacing a hell of a lot more with businesses large and small, to more elaborate measures like incentives for continued development and business attraction.

And the city has demonstrated little position for doing any of that, which is partially why downtown is in this mess.

I live on 104 and I am appalled at the state of downtown. I have lost a lot of hope and I am very worried about the continued decay and lack of leadership on downtown.

Back