Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

LRT.PNG

What do we think? A week or two of testing and they should be good if they were all ready to go in the summer as mentioned basically all of the testing should have been completed then and in other sections during this recent delay.
I'm betting a couple months of testing at least. they never did system-wide runs, schedules have to be ironed out, snow has to be dealt with, and a lot of the stations are still missing fixtures. if this opens before snow melts i'll be very surprised.

I hate how sour grapes this whole project has made me. I'm happy the line is running full spread again, I'm happy we're this much closer to the line being open, I'm happy the structural repairs happened fairly quickly and have been deemed successful, but it's so hard not to be pissed off that for $1.8 billion in public funds, we get these horrifically ugly guideway piers all because TransEd couldn't figure out how to do basic concrete construction. It is just so completely unacceptable.

I hate how sour grapes this whole project has made me. I'm happy the line is running full spread again, I'm happy we're this much closer to the line being open, I'm happy the structural repairs happened fairly quickly and have been deemed successful, but it's so hard not to be pissed off that for $1.8 billion in public funds, we get these horrifically ugly guideway piers all because TransEd couldn't figure out how to do basic concrete construction. It is just so completely unacceptable.
Not speaking on quality and aesthetics, $1.8bn is very cheap for a 27km line, a dozen of stations and new trains etc. A metro station alone can cost $2 bn in some cities. This seems like money well spent as long as the trains can run *fingers crossed*.

In retrospect, I think it was wise for Edmonton to proceed with the Valley Line construction (SE and West) before inflation took off this year.

Last edited:
Not speaking on quality and aesthetics, $1.8bn is very cheap for a 27km line, a dozen of stations and new trains etc. A metro station alone can cost $2 bn in some cities. This seems like money well spent as long as the trains can run *fingers crossed*.

Except valley east is only 13km for $1.8B, not 27km.

Valley Line West adds another 14km for an additional $2.7B.

So it's $4.5B for 27km + some other features.

Add in operational costs and it's pretty significant. I still support it.

Those 100+km of bike lanes for $100M look pretty good to me as another viable way to move people around though. 😁

Back