Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

There are countless kms of existing sidewalks and roads that cyclists can use, right now! for free!!
I hope this is sarcasm?

I cannot fathom how many comments like this I still see online with the immense amount of research and data on bike lanes and ridership in cities of all sizes and climates. Bike lanes are the cheapest way to add mobility options for thousands to use. And also the cheapest options for users!

There are countless kms of existing sidewalks and roads that cyclists can use, right now! for free!!
It's illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk and dangerous to ride on the streets. I'm not commenting on this council's budget (too much, or too little, or whatever), but there should be some money for the creation, upgrade and maintenance of bike trails in every budget. Maybe it should be a set percentage of the overall transportation budget.

Nice to see testing, but what else will turn be turning up, especially since transed has been less than transparent at any time.

Agree that biking paths are great but the city has no set of standards for their construction. Look at 127th north of stony plain road to 118th, 3 different styles alone.

Then let's not forget that cycling rules are not being enforced either, that alone would help with their acceptance, that and registration.

Roads are not safe places to travel for cyclists because of vehicles.

Sidewalks are not safe places for cyclists to travel because of pedestrians.

thommyjo, you wish I was being sarcastic but I am actually speaking the truth. The no biking on sidewalk law is a joke that the overwhelming majority never follow and is rarely enforced.
100 million would have been better spent on less sexy things like better snow removal equipment for sidewalks, and fixing all the gaps (widening narrow sidewalks adding bike/wheelchair friendly curbs at intersections etc.) in the existing infrastructure.
It would have been a more environmentally friendly, preserving green space instead of adding more pavement.

Unfortunately, everybody wants shiny new things!

One more thing, dedicated bike lanes everywhere will only make sense if they remove the speed cap on ebikes.

It's illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk and dangerous to ride on the streets. I'm not commenting on this council's budget (too much, or too little, or whatever), but there should be some money for the creation, upgrade and maintenance of bike trails in every budget. Maybe it should be a set percentage of the overall transportation budget.
maybe we just need to stop calling them sidewalks and refer to them as multi-use paths and upgrade/maintain them accordingly…

maybe we just need to stop calling them sidewalks and refer to them as multi-use paths and upgrade/maintain them accordingly…
I walk often downtown and on occasion have had to use the bike lanes because they are better cleared than the sidewalks.

If you are a pedestrian, you are ignored by the city, if you use the bus you get reduced service and higher fares and people who travel downtown are treated with contempt.

There is only one group that is currently favored by the city.

Back