7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Scona Garage Revitalization | ?m | 3s | Hodgson Schilf Evans

This one done for now? No beljan magic at this point? 😔

A8F8B70A-3895-4A7B-95C3-27D4AB994EA4.jpeg

Its kind of a shame. The quaint old church just north of this was torn down, by someone chasing some high end luxury market that didn't exist in the area. Now it is an abandoned lot and has been for a number of years. Surely that is not good for the area and nearby developments.

Now this project seems like it isn't happening either (and the nice little building with interesting stores in it north of this and across the street is long empty and sad too). I think Old Strathcona is still a nice area with a lot of potential, but people who develop here have to be realistic about it and not get carried away things.

I believe (CMD can confirm) this was part of the Beljan portfolio that was sold off to another local group/company that now is in a bit of a cash crunch and likely will need to sell more than a few properties.

Its kind of a shame. The quaint old church just north of this was torn down, by someone chasing some high end luxury market that didn't exist in the area. Now it is an abandoned lot and has been for a number of years. Surely that is not good for the area and nearby developments.

Now this project seems like it isn't happening either (and the nice little building with interesting stores in it north of this and across the street is long empty and sad too). I think Old Strathcona is still a nice area with a lot of potential, but people who develop here have to be realistic about it and not get carried away things.

Agree in full. I love Old Strathcona but I do see that developers sometimes have a bit of an unrealistic notion as to how "grand" the area is. It's not in the same league as the distillery district in Toronto or Olympic Village in Vancouver. Our market is different and there's a lot of work to be done before Old Strathcona becomes a 24/7 busy and active place where anything that opens up will have a high chance of success.

With the Cidex residential tower complex seemingly like it's going ahead across the street, I think this project could have been a safe bet to succeed. Maybe until that project is actually built out will developers be more keen to take this one on.

Between this project being shelved as well as the Army & Navy development cancelled for now, it's been a rough week for the area.

I believe (CMD can confirm) this was part of the Beljan portfolio that was sold off to another local group/company that now is in a bit of a cash crunch and likely will need to sell more than a few properties.
that purchase which included this building and another three is in receivership

So the new owner has done nothing with any of the properties he spent almost 20 M on? Can’t imagine “Turnip Smart Home Security” is as lucrative as one would think…lol. I smell something amiss here

Must be one helluva salesmen to convince lenders to give him $19m on four properties despite seemingly having little-to-no CRE development experience.

Back