News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Scona Garage Revitalization | ?m | 3s | Hodgson Schilf Evans

_Citizen_Dane_

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a project that I'm really hoping see's the light of day sooner rather than later. Like I mentioned a couple pages back, it's insane to me just how desolate Old Strath' becomes just a block south of Whyte. Some new, urban-oriented, storefronts would do wonders.

I was just thinking that the other week when I passed by. Allegedly the upper floor apartments are still there, completely intact, but in a state of ruin. From what I understand they were used for storage since the building was brought back from the brink of death in the late 1970's. I'd really love to see Beljan take it over, I'm sure they'd do something great with it.
View attachment 226505
I know the whole Scona Garage thing is off topic, but considering that there was some discussion of it here, I thought I'd add an update. A banner on the outside says a.j. Interiors is doing renovations. Might be worthy of its own thread or the miscellaneous one?

Last edited:
Reference ID: Job No 356504083-003
Description: (COMPREHENSIVE SIGN PLAN ONLY) To change the Use from a Bar and Neighbourhood Pub with Restaurant (main floor) to Restaurants and General Retail Stores and construct interior alterations, construct interior alterations to an existing Multi-unit Housing facility and increase the number of Dwellings from 17 to 20, and construct exterior alterations to the structure of the same.
Plan 9220734 Blk 48 Lot 1A
Applicant: HODGSON SCHILF EVANS ARCHITECTS

Thanks for making a separate thread Dave. I'll be super interested to see what they end up planning on doing with it, especially the plans for the apartment units — like I mentioned in the parent comment, the upper floor's been more-or-less hermetically sealed from the rest of the building for like four decades now.

Description: To construct interior alterations to an existing Bar and Neighbourhood Pub with Restaurant (main floor) and Multi-unit Housing (2nd floor) building, increase the number of Dwellings from 17 to 20, and construct exterior alterations to the structure of the same. (Scona Garage)
Permit date: October 2, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 8020 - 105 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: QUEEN ALEXANDRA
Zoning: CB2

Description: To construct interior alterations to an existing Bar and Neighbourhood Pub with Restaurant (main floor) and Multi-unit Housing (2nd floor) building, increase the number of Dwellings from 17 to 20, and construct exterior alterations to the structure of the same. (Scona Garage)
Permit date: October 2, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 8020 - 105 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: QUEEN ALEXANDRA
Zoning: CB2

Any word on who's behind this one?

Saw that this was finally posted over on Beljan's website:

a9b503d49dbf64716e00da2c72083fe028a57ba4.jpg78adc2cb5e3cf42c081b572f83807894b7ca2e3d.jpgfeb50fbe37894a47c3574aa3fa8d818e4c84dc8b.jpg

Back