News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

Could it happen here... looking at you ECC?

---
IKEA Announces Toronto Downtown Store Opening Date

The Swedish home furnishings retailer will open its 66,000 sq. ft. downtown location, a first to Canada concept with a new food concept added as well.

Could it happen here... looking at you ECC?

---
IKEA Announces Toronto Downtown Store Opening Date

The Swedish home furnishings retailer will open its 66,000 sq. ft. downtown location, a first to Canada concept with a new food concept added as well.
I am pretty sure it could.
But you're a funny guy... I've been saying that we could get Ikea, BestBuy, etc... in DT for years, but you've never seemed to like it...
What changed your mind?

Nothing has changed my mind and it would be a huge draw, but I cannot see them going into ECC or Downtown... but IF I was ECC, I'd be all over that pitch.

We dont have the numbers to make it work unless they see if serving much of the city and in a way people are not used to, ie. far more urban and a much smaller in-store offering, limited loading/parking and much more shipped to home.

I can see that being far more palatable in Central Toronto, but could see more folks here just going to the other location to simplify things.

Here's hoping I am wrong though, for it would be a coup to have a destination retailer open up Downtown.

Nothing has changed my mind and it would be a huge draw, but I cannot see them going into ECC or Downtown... but IF I was ECC, I'd be all over that pitch.

We dont have the numbers to make it work unless they see if serving much of the city and in a way people are not used to, ie. far more urban and a much smaller in-store offering, limited loading/parking and much more shipped to home.

I can see that being far more palatable in Central Toronto, but could see more folks here just going to the other location to simplify things.

Here's hoping I am wrong though, for it would be a coup to have a destination retailer open up Downtown.
Totes, I'd love to not have to drive all the way to South Common to go to IKEA, but I bet most other northsiders would agree as well. Unfortunately, I doubt IKEA would take that plunge here.

Not a particularly well written piece, but I get it.

A bit misguided with this one...given its recent injection of millions by the UofA and much higher use.

'The historic Hudson’s Bay building, where my parents had lunch every day with friends, is now dilapidated, ready to be refurbished — or torn down.'

^

all of those “cash injections” were spent on the interior.

from the exterior, the building is still a black hole.

if perception is reality, the article - written by a visitor who could well have been an edmontonian who doesn’t get downtown often - is pretty accurate.

Not a particularly well written piece, but I get it.

A bit misguided with this one...given its recent injection of millions by the UofA and much higher use.

'The historic Hudson’s Bay building, where my parents had lunch every day with friends, is now dilapidated, ready to be refurbished — or torn down.'
I had a chat with Jack not so long ago. He was an Edmontonian and takes pride in his roots but moved to Calgary. He shared with me that he had an opportunity to set up and head a school of public policy and chose to do it at U of C for several reasons typical of Edmonton that we all discuss on this forum, despite Edmonton being the capital (on paper) of Alberta. He writes opinion pieces in the National Post frequently so he has a national platform. Nevertheless, however written it continues to perpetuate people's negative perception of Edmonton outside of Edmonton.

The historic Hudson’s Bay building, where my parents had lunch every day with friends, is now dilapidated, ready to be refurbished — or torn down.’ - did Mintz visit downtown before 2005? Obviously he didn’t go inside the building to see it’s very much in use by the U of A or even notice signage of such on the exterior.

Generally, the article gives off very odd vibes, especially given his ties to the UCP government and acknowledgement of a homelessness crisis that the government hasn’t exactly provided much support on (given it’s their area of responsibility, not the City’s).

Agree with all the comments here, just mediocre written piece but highlights many of the issues we all understand need to be tackled.

On U of A/Bay Building - There will be 400 new employees there, if not now but soon. That can only be good for Downtown. But because the whole building does not address Jasper Ave it make it feel very sterile.

On Jasper Avenue -- I feel as a City we should designate, say 100 St to 103 Street give or take a block or two as a 'special economic recovery zone'. For all the talk as a City about walkability, pedestrianizing our Downtown, getting people out of pedways, there is no longer any retail on any of those blocks save for a Tim Horton's and Subway that any day will close due to the massive disorder challenges they have. Remedy won't open past 8pm due to major security issues for their staff. I hate having to point these things out, as I don't think it's all bad news, but this area in particular represents the Edmonton of the past -- not addressing safety issues which leads Edmontonians to have the same perception they had before we spent $2B on Downtown, into the pedways and into their cars back to the suburbs, with nary a retailer in sight.

When you permit/accept vinyl window coverings on many of the windows/display boxes (not permitted by the way) it tends to create that feeling. Those could be wonderfully bright displays highlighting some of the things happening in the building or at the UofA. Alas.

100-103st most definitely needs some special attention for it might be the worst of the worst.

It's telling when the group in charge of making Downtown more active and vibrant at street level moves up off of the street and into the pedways...;)

Sofra for sale:(

I have always enjoyed going there, especially some basement celebrations.

Opening soon in the Saddlery Building

20220519_194015.jpg

Back