Prairie Sky Gondola | 76.2m | ?s | Prairie Sky | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Round two, fight *ding ding ding*

He doesn’t even have all the facts from Prairie Sky yet. This connects two major nodes and can really help redevelopment and infill.
He wants to cancel a privately funded project and pour millions of public dollars into “upgrades”.
Also, there's ABSOLUTELY NO ASK for transit revenue. I don't know where he is getting his information from, or if he's just spreading misinformation on purpose (to what end, it eludes me).

Also, there's ABSOLUTELY NO ASK for transit revenue. I don't know where he is getting his information from, or if he's just spreading misinformation on purpose (to what end, it eludes me).

Anyone write to Janz yet? I did.
He is always quick to reply, he deserves credit for that.
He thanked me for sharing my support of the Gondola project and asked "What questions would you like to see me ask to make sure we get the best deal?"

Maybe ask Janz why he has such a mad hate-on for private corporations. I know he's an NDP supporter but I don't know how much of an excuse that is.

I am not entirely certain because no one seems to have clearly said it, but I suspect some are against the gondola because it is seen as a privatization of transit. I believe the thinking is that if you allow a rider to add a "surcharge" on their monthly pass that allows you to use to gondola, you are essentially funneling public transit dollars into a private enterprise. Not saying I agree, but I think that might be some of the thinking.

I am not entirely certain because no one seems to have clearly said it, but I suspect some are against the gondola because it is seen as a privatization of transit. I believe the thinking is that if you allow a rider to add a "surcharge" on their monthly pass that allows you to use to gondola, you are essentially funneling public transit dollars into a private enterprise. Not saying I agree, but I think that might be some of the thinking.

I think you have hit on Janz's thinking.

That is only an option should ETS want to pursue it, but it is not essential to the Gondola business case that council accepted in 2021.

From an EJ article at that time:
Hansen-Carlson stressed that his company's business case, which was not made public, does not depend on integration with ETS.

"It's a nice-to-have," he said. "It's a good thing for the community, it creates more public benefit, but at the end of the day it's not essential to us."

I think integrating the gondola with ETS makes a lot of sense for convenience, but yeah, it needs to also stand on its own. The risk factor is too higher for public money. And as long as the deal is well structured to protect the city and river valley, idk why you would fight it.

Puneeta had a great take on the recent IDEA podcast where she talked about how she was meeting with a big investment manager guy who oversees hundreds of millions and she asked what it would take to get more money in Edmonton. His response? “Do cool shit”. So basically she was like, ok. If that’s the attitude of these big players with cash, we need to start thinking like that. How do we put Edmonton on the map?

I think this is something that could. But it’s definitely a risk and will be interesting to see if it works out.

The way Vancouver has integrated ferries into their transit system gives me hope. It’s a unique mode, but works due to the geography. I think we have a similar case here.

I think integrating the gondola with ETS makes a lot of sense for convenience, but yeah, it needs to also stand on its own. The risk factor is too higher for public money. And as long as the deal is well structured to protect the city and river valley, idk why you would fight it.

Puneeta had a great take on the recent IDEA podcast where she talked about how she was meeting with a big investment manager guy who oversees hundreds of millions and she asked what it would take to get more money in Edmonton. His response? “Do cool shit”. So basically she was like, ok. If that’s the attitude of these big players with cash, we need to start thinking like that. How do we put Edmonton on the map?

I think this is something that could. But it’s definitely a risk and will be interesting to see if it works out.

The way Vancouver has integrated ferries into their transit system gives me hope. It’s a unique mode, but works due to the geography. I think we have a similar case here.
I absolutely agree with you.
I would love to see the gondola integrated with ETS and Arc card integration, but there needs to be a clear divide between ETS fare and gondola fare or this project will likely not proceed through council. But yes it needs to stand on its own.

On a side note, I saw a considerable number of people crossing both Walterdale and High Level Bridges yesterday after the Oilers game. This project would definitely help bridge that gap as ice district and surrounding development is within reasonable distance from the potential Gondola station at 100st.

The thing I am frustrated about with his comments is that it is saying to private individuals, entrepreneurs and private money that Edmonton doesn't want innovative ideas, solutions, partnerships. I can appreciate that he wants due diligence done, that agreements need to be clear and that things need to be transparent... as would I , but the way he delivers this is absolutely counterproductive and if anything demonstrates his bias.

I think Janz also needs to acknowledge that public resources are scarce, so it isn't a question of who is best suited to operate this specific route between Strathcona and DT. The fact is that the City will not be building a gondola on its own, so if we want this investment from the private sector then Council should focus on how to get the best deal from the developer with the least amount of public funds on the line.

There are plenty of things the City needs to be doing better (like homelessness) -- there is no need to stand in the way of this project.

The thing I am frustrated about with his comments is that it is saying to private individuals, entrepreneurs and private money that Edmonton doesn't want innovative ideas, solutions, partnerships. I can appreciate that he wants due diligence done, that agreements need to be clear and that things need to be transparent... as would I , but the way he delivers this is absolutely counterproductive and if anything demonstrates his bias.
Agreed. Same as when nickel was doing travel advisory stunts for downtown. That sort of political bs hurts our external image and attraction of investment. We can’t allow it. Fight in the bedroom, be united in front of the kids. Unless there are ethical or other factors, taking to socials with dedicated videos like this is too much. At least make it a more nuanced and fair invitation for feedback, not a hit piece.

Interesting to note that along with Edmonton, Red Deer and Banff, Canmore may be going down a (elevated guideway) path as well.

Canmore (Silvertip) proposing a gondola on Lady MacDonald for tourism, to help move hundreds of employees from housing to the expanding village and for conference/events to reduce the need for parking.

3-altitudes-3-attitudes-edit-22-04-21-1.jpg

Back