News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Good to hear, but it's been like that for a month and won't be swept from the street for 3 weeks:(

Street Cleaning Status:
Scheduled
Planned Start Week:
23-May-2022 to 29-May-2022
Planned Start Week Revised:
No
Revised Start Week:
N/A

Random neighbourhoods with little to no pedestrian traffic complete and yet a very busy Heritage Trail outside of a museum on 99 Ave looking like this a couple of days ago. Priorities!
View attachment 398223
Eeee gad! That’s a Royal sh!t ton of sand and gravel…..that does make me mad…..I wish I could run the sweeping division for the city for a season. The city would be spotless and it’d show the rest of them how to do it!!! Cost a fortune but……..

What I get upset about is that there are about 1000 people living within a block and this is well used by pedestrians and yet won't get swept until the end of May... whereas multiple industrial areas are done as well as vehicle focussed neighbourhoods where blowing dirt and dust matters much less.

Backwards and insulting to those who travel by foot.

Speaks volumes.

I remember visiting Nice. The street sweeper came every morning and scrubbed the cobblestones clean. Daily cleaning is what is required for a premium downtown area.

I'm not sure but I think it was swept.

Most of Downtown has been swept, it's much better than other years, given a few bad spots like you identified.
According to the City's map, McKay Avenue and Govt area remain unswept and are not scheduled for two-three weeks and I can confirm this from being there last weekend.

It's ridiculous.

Reference ID:Job No 432074292-002
Description:To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (LIQUOR NERDS)
Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 191-192
Applicant:JRB SIGNS LTD
Create Date:5/3/2022 2:58:02 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Reference ID:Job No 431371819-002
Description:To Operate two Outdoor Patios (144.8m2 of Public Space) for an existing Restaurant (Public Space of 180m2)
Plan B2 Blk 5 Lot 166
Applicant:JUSTCOOK KITCHENS INC.
Create Date:4/27/2022 2:01:32 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
Class of Permit:Class B

I like the refresh on this building on Jasper and 108, but it is getting tagged continuously.

20220507_112623.jpg
20220507_115228.jpg

According to the City's map, McKay Avenue and Govt area remain unswept and are not scheduled for two-three weeks and I can confirm this from being there last weekend.

It's ridiculous.
Good buddy of mine works for roads in the City. From the stuff he tells me, I can only figure it’s some sort of weird mix of apathy and incompetence in mgmt and A LOT of “this is how things have been done, this is how they’ll continue to be done” regardless of how backwards or inefficient it may be.

Also, it’s lots of OT paid at double time where almost no additional work is done. Pretty sweet gig to get, actually.

I was at their Calgary location a month or so ago and they were frustrated by how long things were taking. Apparently the building was a bit more of a mess than originally expected. Early summer opening from what they told me. It should be quite popular given their pricing (basically everything under $10), beer selection, patio and funky space.

Saturday's letters: Downtown Edmonton far from its heyday

Edmonton Journal
Publishing date:May 07, 2022 • 1 day ago

You perhaps are not old enough to know what a vibrant downtown Edmonton looks like. What we have now is nowhere near vibrant. You would have had to have grown up in the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s to see that our downtown currently is a ghost town.

The downtown core was the place to go shopping, eat and for entertainment. The buses were full of people heading downtown. The parking lots were full as they would only charge a couple of dollars for the day. Stores lined every street and restaurants were bustling. The streets were full regardless of the time.

Also, the premier is not to blame. The provincial government has nothing to do with the design and development of our downtown core. Our city council is very lost and confused when it comes to knowing where to spend the money to revitalize it. Wider sidewalks do not bring people downtown. Expensive parking and unreliable, expensive transit also do not bring people downtown. All the nice boutiques and stores are gone so why would I go downtown and pay 20 dollars to park when everything including restaurants/entertainment are at a local mall where I can park for free?

J.T. Syrnyk, Edmonton

Back