News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

McDougall Hill Pedestrian Bridge

I took the Insight survey.
I'm fine with either option 2 or 3. But for all 3 options the chain link fencing is a non-starter. Replace the fencing with the glass that's used at the Frederick Todd Lookout.

As much as I'd want glass as well it is probably best not to. Just like the funicular, glass will probably be smashed by some sh*theads on a regular basis.

As much as I'd want glass as well it is probably best not to. Just like the funicular, glass will probably be smashed by some sh*theads on a regular basis.

My concern to about glass here, perhaps this is why they chose the chain link fencing to begin with?

Also, I can see snow removal being potentially problematic if was all enclosed with glass

My concern to about glass here, perhaps this is why they chose the chain link fencing to begin with?

Also, I can see snow removal being potentially problematic if was all enclosed with glass

Yes, let's push that snow off the bridge into oncoming cars ❄️❄️🚗 /s

Requirements for upgraded/new High Level Bridge:
• 2 lanes of traffic both ways (4 total). Additional lane added to Walterdale Bridge (4 total) and converted to two-way traffic.
• Radial railway tracks, bike path and sidewalk installed on upgraded/new High Level Bridge.

Any option that does not satisfy the requirements above should not be considered.
If it costs more money to rehabilitate the High Level Bridge properly then delaying funding for the McDougall Hill Pedestrian Bridge will be worth it.

With the right detergents and a safe bridge in place I think walking/running across will be very minimal.
I think Tide Pods are a pretty good choice, but I'm also a sucker for Dawn because of the cute ducks on their bottles.

A bit of a poor take on this.

Make everything safer and more efficient, not less. The idea of a crossing at the top is outrageously wrong for a myriad of reasons including unnecessary disruption, poor sightlines and overall safety issues.

This proposal will be an amazing new viewpoint, attraction and makes the flow of people and traffic that much better.
It's not actually that bad in terms of sightlines as I expected. I went for a walk there last week. There's space for 3-4 northbound cars to stop safely. If it weren't also ~5-6 lanes wide at the top of the hill, a crosswalk would seem very natural.

it seems crazy to me that people would jaywalk at this corner. I'm pretty cavalier with crossing the road (if there's good sightlines and no traffic, why not?) but this juncture is legitimately dangerous. it makes the flashers at the top of 105 st by Mckay school look totally sane by comparison. Coming up, the hill is a blind 90-degree corner with relatively tight lanes for the radius of the curve (especially for busses) making it hard for drivers to stay in control, even if they are going well under the speed limit. it's busy with traffic at all hours, and there's a reversible lane starting/ending at that point. This is all happening at a point where you can barely see 100' down the road as a driver, and pedestrians can't see all 3 lanes coming up at all times, making it very unsafe. I couldn't imagine trying to cross at the top of the hill, even with some kind of signal like yellow flashers. there's no way a driver could see a pedestrian, and as a pedestrian, you can't see everything coming at you!
I get stuck there occasionally, trying to connect from 100 ave onwards to continue East. it's annoying, and I'm sometimes tempted, but i'd never dart across, even quickly on my bike. you can't see enough of what's going on to be safe! I love pedestrian advocacy, but are we really gonna 'fight the car' so to speak by jumping out in front of it and endangering everyone?
Anyways. rant aside, I very much support and appreciate this bridge. this is a spot where grade separation makes sense.

If a crosswalk is absolutely required then please make it a flashing amber signal instead of a beg button that will make you wait 5 minutes.

Back