News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

^If you look at the stats, even Bonnie Doon, Strathcona, Strathearn etc where there's infill happening lost some population. There's no way that a bit of semi-detached can absorb all the growth the city is experiencing.
It's probably a case of many of those new infill developments sitting empty for a long time, given they cost at least twice as much as a comparably-sized house in a new suburban area.

cg220209b003-eng.png

Statcan

Again these statistics are vacuous and meaningless when taken on their own without any context added. Edmonton has 1 million people in a City bounded within 264.2 square miles. Toronto, such as it is has 2.93 million people within its physical bounds of 243.3 square miles -- Edmonton is a larger City than Toronto (land area) with a HUGE River valley swath with very few people living in it taken out of its central core -- 12 times larger than NYC's Central Park. Little wonder that the densities don't align when comparing the two statistically. Same for Montreal that has 1.78 million people packed into the much smaller area of 166.6 square miles. Vancouver -- the City itself -- only has 680,000 people squeezed into its jurisdictional area of 44 square miles (nowhere to go but up). Calgary is the most valid comparison, remembering that it was until very recently the white-collar capital of the petroleum industry (Edmonton was more of a blue-collar entity).
When you consider these elements and the fact that Toronto and Vancouver are afflicted with the disease of out-of-country condo ownership where the owner seldom, if ever, resides there, then you get a picture of Edmonton with its lower home prices and better schools being a much more pleasurable place to live.
If you want to live in a City where density is your prime consideration then your baby, baby, is Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver and why else would these skewed statistics have such meaning for you. Edmonton is still a young City compared to all of the others, save Calgary -- it has the unique opportunity of "getting it right" when it comes to the ideal living environment; it is an experiment crucible with untold opportunity; it -- and the rest of Alberta -- are fast-growing, dynamic, and experimental.

much of the absorption of condos and apartments in van/tor is simply cost of living driven. You live at home, the rent an apartment till 27-32. Then if we’ll paid or gifted money you buy a 600-900k condo cause homes are untouchable.

In Edmonton, people like myself go from home to buying in 2 years. There’s no decade or longer of condos being the only attainable housing. So I think that’s the biggest challenge for us.

Obviously making DT more attractive, fun, desirable will help. But money drives most things. Until new homes surpass 800k, young people in the 20-35 category will continue to buy houses in the burbs.

Not to mention that most friends in Tor/Van were more corporate ladder driven (waits for it) and only 'settled down' in their mid-30s, even late 30s, even now (early 40s), versus most of my friends here in Edmonton who paired up, had kids and needed/wanted a SFH in their late 20s/early 30s. There is most definitely a 5-7 yr spread there which significantly impacts the housing market.

Replacing the old SB location on Jasper/109st.

Reference ID: Job No 422978641-002
Description: To Continue to Operate a Specialty Food Service (Blenz Coffee Shop)
Plan 9921554 Blk 9B Lot 5
Applicant: OSMOWS
Create Date: 2/8/2022 6:23:50 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

I was out for a walk with a friend this morning and downtown was super quiet until we reached the new Ayco Cafe on Jasper and 106st. Both times I've been there in the past 10 days, it has been busy. Good start to its opening downtown.

Back