News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

Reference ID: Job No 421078195-002
Description: To install (2) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (EL FURMITURE)
Plan NB Blk 7 Lot 42
Applicant: U-SEE SIGNS / SUN SIGNS
Create Date: 1/21/2022 2:12:00 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Very cool, I am a big fan of this place. Great to see that in this location.

A couple of years ago, I recall a city report was released which detailed how downtown generated a disproportionate amount of taxes compared to other parts of the city. I can't recall if all of downtown was lumped together, or if the report specified some specific neighbourhoods. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I've been trying to find an article about it to use in a class presentation, but I can't find it for the life of me. I've tried google, searching on here, searching on r/Edmonton, looking on the city's website, etc.

I know it's common knowledge that denser areas generate more taxes, but I want to find this report, or an article about it, because it specifically said something like "Downtown residents/businesses pay 'X'% of municipal taxes". It would be nice to reference that specific statistic.

The most recent number used is 1% of the land represents 9% (was 10) of the tax base.

There are multiple articles or mentions in the last few years including ones from Innovate/EEDC, EDBA, DECL among others.

@CplKlinger it was mentioned in the video discussion by City Council re the Qualico project and the CRL.
Thank you!
^It has been mentioned over the years, most recently when City Council adopted the Downtown Vibrancy Startegy

Oh my goodness, that's exactly what I was looking for! Now I know why I failed so much over the past few days; I was trying different key-word searches related to taxation, neighbourhoods, downtown, etc. when the statistic was actually buried in this article

Does anyone know why these doors to the lower level of Telus Plaza remain locked?

20220127_111838.jpg

Why do I feel like if we still had those zero lot line smaller scale buildings with a continuous 3-6 storey streetwall, lots of fine grain variation, that we would have a much better street experience than we have today with these big developments and single towers on a whole block?

I feel the same way. I much prefer walking down streets with a smaller scale of buildings, mixed use and dense.

Back