News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

I don't really agree that Edmonton is extremely incompetent in selling itself as an attractive place.

Edmonton has various organizations that do a good job of promoting the city. See example of Edmonton Global.

The problem is with other Canadians who are clueless as to their own country, the size of the City of Edmonton or its economic strength. Really, Canadians need to take some responsibility and start to learn about their own country.

I don't really agree that Edmonton is extremely incompetent in selling itself as an attractive place.

Edmonton has various organizations that do a good job of promoting the city. See example of Edmonton Global.

The problem is with other Canadians who are clueless as to their own country, the size of the City of Edmonton or its economic strength. Really, Canadians need to take some responsibility and start to learn about their own country.
The thing is that we cannot sit on our hands and wait for people to change their behaviour. It is way too passive. I am not just talking about promoting Edmonton internally, but also internationally, too.

We need to be more aggressive and active in this promotion of Edmonton. We are already good at attracting big events to the city, but we're not very good ad boasting about it, for example. We hardly make the fuss about some stuff here that most cities do, for example.

Is the weather here really much worse than other places, or have we just bought into the myth that keeps on being perpetuated?

Days with temperatures at or below -30 C each year​

CityAverage number of days
Edmonton3.3
Calgary3.7
Regina12.0
Saskatoon14.3

CBC NEWS

Source: Environment Canada
-20 C won't be the same ranking. And why is not Winnipeg, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal not on this or -20 list

World Cup 2026 is likely a make-or-break scenario when it comes to promoting Edmonton
I wish we had the cities confirmed. How much information will FIFA initially provide like dates, number of games in a city? What is the timeline for an announcement and will it come from FIFA or Soccer Canada or both simultaneously?

I wish we had the cities confirmed. How much information will FIFA initially provide like dates, number of games in a city? What is the timeline for an announcement and will it come from FIFA or Soccer Canada or both simultaneously?
Usually, the host cities are formally announced right after the preceding World Cup.
This announcement includes information on how many games and what kind of games will be hosted (opening, group phase, rounds of 16, 8, semi-finals, third place and final) as well as the opening date and the final date.

Some of the details will likely take longer, but should be determined by the end of 2022, such as the start and end of each phase of the competition. The exact dates of each game will not be known until the groups are drawn, in 2026.

Immediately after groups are defined, cities and the national teams start a dance to choose the training camps. 2026 might be a little different, considering the geographical challenges, and the bloated schedule, it's likely that we'll see each of the 12 groups play in a different region of the continent, to minimize travel times for fans and players alike, considering that this was one of the major complaints in 2018 (Russia).

That FIFA is a 'make or break it' for our City.

I am 100% behind the bid and will be provide amazing exposure/generate a significant economic impact, but the reality is that it will do very little in the grand scheme of things.

That FIFA is a 'make or break it' for our City.

I am 100% behind the bid and will be provide amazing exposure/generate a significant economic impact, but the reality is that it will do very little in the grand scheme of things.
I wouldn't say it's make or break either but it's definitely an amazing opportunity for the city to market itself to the rest of the world, especially since it'll be the largest-scale event we've ever had a part in hosting (larger than the Commonwealth Games, Universiade, World Masters Games, FIFA Women's, etc.).

I don't disagree but my point is that it won't turn us into some sort of mega destination for travel or business.

Exposure good, impact good, legacy good.

World Cup for Edmonton is a couple games. We've had Commonwealth Games, and World Track and Field Championships before. While this is a big event, it's only a few games being played here. I am under the impression that this will not be a big deal at all, and will have minimal impact on future tourism.

World Cup for Edmonton is a couple games. We've had Commonwealth Games, and World Track and Field Championships before. While this is a big event, it's only a few games being played here. I am under the impression that this will not be a big deal at all, and will have minimal impact on future tourism.

I beg to differ. While it is just a few games, it is the most heavily covered event on Earth and, while just a few games might seem little, the event itself lasts as long as the Olympic Games and, in between, people are still around the city. There's absolutely NOTHING like the international exposure FIFA Men's World Cup brings.
North Americans, in general, are a little bit oblivious to how popular football is around the world, due to the sports preferences here, but you simply cannot compare the events you listed to this. Billions os people watching, hundreds of thousands of tourists hoping from one city to the other for well over a month (most national teams get to the host countries about a month in advance).
If someone said Edmonton would be hosting the Super Bowl + the MLB Finals + the Stanley Cup you'd probably think it's a big deal. This event is bigger. A LOT bigger, and more popular.

The exposure is about the games though, not really about the city. Event is huge, absolutely agree. But as far as my understanding, Edmonton is getting 3 games potentially? Am I missing something, or are we hosting a group now? I mean if there are World Cup games that end up going to Cincinnati or Cleveland for example, and that would have minimal impact, what makes Edmonton so different?

I don't disagree but my point is that it won't turn us into some sort of mega destination for travel or business.

Exposure good, impact good, legacy good.
Any longer term effects have a lot to do with Edmonton's own perception of the city. From talking to people, especially older (45+ people), there is still a lot of resentment over Calgary's Olympic endeavour.
I've seen it happen before, in Brazil, for example, as the media starts to dissect the city and expose it everywhere, it tends to give a confidence boost and a sense of pride that usually has a cascade effect on how the city and its citizens portray themselves.
It will also likely increase knowledge of Edmonton in Canada and the US, which is a point commonly raised in this forum for the reasons why Edmonton is always forgotten in the national stage.

I stand to my point: there is NOTHING like the exposure this event will bring. The closest thing are the Summer Olympics, and even those tend to be relatively neglected In certain places.

Back