News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Crime

I'm referencing every time he was asked about crime as an issue before the election and what he chose to mention in his platform. This isn't prejudging, it's paying attention to what the guy said his priorities are. Give me a break.

Also nice to get a preview of what the excuses will look like if things do get worse: "at least he isn't Nickel!"

Last edited:
Petty crimes/theft under and general disorder are the bigger issues from what I can see.

I was Downtown for 4 days this trip, walking most of the time, exploring RHW, Churchill, ICE, 109st, McKay Avenue and 104st.

Not once, not once did I see EPS or any visible presence, not once and that is totally unacceptable. We had a quite a few visitors from out of town in the core this weekend and I'd love to do some exit interviews with them.

3 out of towners(Ottawa) that I'm friend with all had a blast in downtown Edmonton on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They had to go back and won't be able to attend the game on Tuesday. because of work. But, many people enjoyed their time here. The only complain I see is with the artificial turf

3 out of towners(Ottawa) that I'm friend with all had a blast in downtown Edmonton on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They had to go back and won't be able to attend the game on Tuesday. because of work. But, many people enjoyed their time here. The only complain I see is with the artificial turf
I, too, hosted a couple of friends from Ottawa for the Costa Rica game and we (too) had a great time walking around Downtown and Oliver on Friday and the southside (walked Garneau to Bonnie Doon) on Saturday. Only good things to say from both of them about their trip. One friend is here until Wednesday as we are attending the Mexico game together.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.25.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.25.12 AM.png

IMO, Covid is problem #1 for downtown but that should (hopefully) sort itself out (or at least mostly sort itself out) as people return to work in 2022. Crime is a close #2. Prior to the 18 month Covid stretch, I worked downtown for 31 years and I had never seen the amount of crime and social disorder as I did in the few years leading up to Covid. And by all accounts it is much worse than that now. This needs to be addressed properly and soon.

^I also believe targeted, due to the merch value on the streets.

I'm enjoying seeing people's perspectives here, not just people who are from Edmonton, but also visitors, and your visits to other cities that I don't always get to as often.

I can tell you safety and security continue to be the #1 discussion and thing we're trying to address through various channels Downtown. I agree COVID, lack of workers are a huge issues. But we also need to keep our public spaces clean, maintained and safe. One problem area right now is transit, partly due to the repealing of the Transit Loitering Bylaw by Councillor Paquette last term. We also desperately need the province to step up and with wrap-around supports particularly related to the opiod crisis. That said, we still need EPS on the street to be a touch-point when problems arise.

Back