The Parks | 146.91m | 45s | 35s | 13s | Pangman | Hariri Pontarini

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was looking at the Urban Design brief someone posted and the shadow study shows it will cover most of the new park from 3:00pm until later. I love everything else about this development, except blocking out the sun in a park just seems like a bad idea. Or am I reading that wrong?

^^^^ Shadow studies for high-rise buildings are very misleading -- the arc sweep of shadows are not prolonged and when the sun gets low in the sky (morning or evening) any three storey building can be as shade-encompassing as a 30-storey building.

Welcome to the forum @downtownBob.
That's a good point re: the shadow study, I have to dig back to find that now and take another look. I don't think your reading it wrong, though
I do agree that shadow studies can be misleading
Regardless, the parks design intent hopefully will be to maximize the sun/shade amenities of the park.
It will be our first big urban central park, and (hopefully) well designed & activated.
Central park, being smack in the middle of downtown, should have tall towers (well designed and maximizing sunlight to an advantage) all around framing the park... eventually. That's the hope for the core in a lot of people's opinions and city initiatives regardless.
I dont disagree with you that a park needs ample sun exposure, but it's still contextual to the location.
5 blocks away you have the start of the Legislature grounds leading into massive parkland, again a different context.
It's interesting as well that no one spoke out at council meetings against the project, and rezoning passed unanimously.
It's just such a beautiful project.and hopefully a beautiful central park.

and she's gone...
DSCN7967.JPG

So looking at that last picture. I wonder if the east side of the street will indefinitely be closed during construction?
I haven't had a chance to see in person, but I don't think the east lane of 108th is even blocked off per that photo, and I don't really think they'd need to.

Pagnotta Inc.
Pagnotta Inc.
3,553 followers
1d • 1 day ago
Excited is an understatement! As of May 2022 #pagnottaconcrete will be providing our formwork services to @ledcorgroup at the transformative development "The Parks" - developed by @pangmandevelopmentcorp - This project is located on 108th and Jasper in the heart of downtown Edmonton. Additionally, #pagnottaequipment is on board, providing the personnel hoists.

Pagnotta Inc.
Pagnotta Inc.
3,553 followers
1d • 1 day ago
Excited is an understatement! As of May 2022 #pagnottaconcrete will be providing our formwork services to @ledcorgroup at the transformative development "The Parks" - developed by @pangmandevelopmentcorp - This project is located on 108th and Jasper in the heart of downtown Edmonton. Additionally, #pagnottaequipment is on board, providing the personnel hoists.

This building will change the face of downtown in a scale that, considering what else is being prepared around it, will be at least as large as the Ice District, if not larger

Yes, it is a good project in so many ways. It is taking a location with several run down one to three storey buildings, an empty lot and filling it. It is right on Jasper Ave next to LRT and in the process fixing that entrance to the LRT which has very narrow stairs because of the existing building in front of it.

Back