Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Nope! A TOD in the middle of an Industrial park?! You do know where this is located….right?
Hey, ya actually I went to Wagner so i know the area pretty well. Would have loved to have some more places around to spend lunch and breaks. The area is at the edge of light industrial and is a prime location to start off development of the area. Not saying we need a bunch of residential towers, just saying the space could've been used better than as a parking lot.

Hey, ya actually I went to Wagner so i know the area pretty well. Would have loved to have some more places around to spend lunch and breaks. The area is at the edge of light industrial and is a prime location to start off development of the area. Not saying we need a bunch of residential towers, just saying the space could've been used better than as a parking lot.
I recollect Transed saying this area could be redeveloped at some point in the future.

I recollect Transed saying this area could be redeveloped at some point in the future.
I saw it in a design document for the VLSE a while back, and some of the parking lot was shaded as "potential future TOD" or something like that. I can't find it anymore unfortunately, and the current design PDF on there doesn't mention it. However, I did find this interesting requirement for Davies Station on page 35, chapter 5 of the project agreement:

"D. Provide connection points suitable for attachment by Other Contractors or a design using piers on
the Davies Transit Centre island to accommodate two (2) future enclosed pedestrian bridges, one
(1) on each side of the Davies Elevated Guideway, spanning over the Davies Transit Centre loops
to future Transit Oriented Development and connecting at the L2 Mezzanine level with direct access
off the pedestrian bridges into Davies Station:
1. with the Final Design, provide a detailed design of the piers, including foundations, or of
connection points, as applicable; the design shall show how the pedestrian bridges are supported
by the piers or attached to the connection points;
2. if the pedestrian bridges are supported on piers, the piers shall be integrated into the overall
architecture of Davies Station and not adversely affect pedestrian flows;
3. assume the future pedestrian bridges have an interior clearance box 4.0m wide and 3.0m high;
4. the pedestrian bridges shall be located, such that pedestrians can use the future pedway system
to pass from one pedestrian bridge to the other in a direct path at any time, including when the
Davies Station is closed;
5. notwithstanding Section 4-1.9.3 [Vertical Clearance] of this Schedule, the minimum vertical
clearance between the bus loop and the underside of the pedestrian bridges shall be 4.8m; and
6. the connection points and structure of Davies Station or the piers shall be designed to
accommodate a future factored load per pedestrian bridge of 3000kN.

I imagine that some of the light industrial could be replaced by commercial development.
I bet the students at the nearby schools would love that too, given how tough it can be to go anywhere further than walking distance for a bite to eat or something during lunches or breaks at school.

Nope! A TOD in the middle of an Industrial park?! You do know where this is located….right?
TOD can be other types of development beside residential you know. I'd imagine that some commercial and low-to-mid density office buildings/spaces could pop up beside the station within the next decade and could make use of the pedway supports mentioned above!

TOD can be other types of development beside residential you know. I'd imagine that some commercial and low-to-mid density office buildings/spaces could pop up beside the station within the next decade and could make use of the pedway supports mentioned above!
DC did exactly that. They have a massive ToD around the Pentagon area that is all offices and retail, with a few high tech industrial facilities in the outskirts, and one stop over, they have another, almost as big ToD that is mostly residential/retail. Davies/Bonnie Doon/Holyrood Could very well support such dynamic in a few decades.

I think I saw the NB left turn signal operational at Whyte and 83 Street.
Yep, it looks like the new lights are uncovered now! The westbound turning lane onto Whyte Ave is also open again.
20211023_200646.jpg

Back