105 Avenue (Columbia Avenue) Streetscape | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

From what I remember seeing there they have not yet created the plaza. If that is still the case thats fine (according to the city plan, plaza work starts in 2023. Why so long from now is another question) I wonder though why don't they at least close off the block where the plaza will be to get drivers used to the fact that that road section will be gone.

Construction has started in June. 109 St - 112 St this year.

105 Ave continues to be a mess and a disappointment. According to that city website, this particular section was due to be completed in early August - so well past that target. And given this was only a 3 block project with a two month timeline, it's likely going to take double the time they estimated.

20210829_110338.jpg
20210829_110353.jpg

The larger issue for me with some of these projects is the overall timeline... 2013-2024+ for roads, sidewalks and street furniture. I don't expect it to be overnight, but come on now.
Exactly. It's ridiculous. Jasper Ave from 109 to 124 st won't be that long, but still too long IMO.
Money hasn't even been allocated yet for work on Jasper beyond this current section.

Exactly. It's ridiculous. Jasper Ave from 109 to 124 st won't be that long, but still too long IMO.
Money hasn't even been allocated yet for work on Jasper beyond this current section.
This was the one that immediately came to mind for me. Why do 3-4 blocks at a time over 3 years? It could be 15-20 years before all of Jasper Avenue is finally refurbed. Definitely needs to be prioritized.

This was the one that immediately came to mind for me. Why do 3-4 blocks at a time over 3 years? It could be 15-20 years before all of Jasper Avenue is finally refurbed. Definitely needs to be prioritized.
It's 5 blocks at a time, over 2 years (north an south, right now they're doing south side from 109st to 114st). I heard rumours that they might speed it up a little bit next year and cover the south side between 114 and 121, especially now that they're finishing the downtown stretch (100 to 97 st), but that's just it: rumours...

It's 5 blocks at a time, over 2 years (north an south, right now they're doing south side from 109st to 114st). I heard rumours that they might speed it up a little bit next year and cover the south side between 114 and 121, especially now that they're finishing the downtown stretch (100 to 97 st), but that's just it: rumours...
Bureaucrats and Politicians need to break projects up in bits and pieces and S T R E T C H projects out - that is how they keep busy and tell us they are busy.

After this current section is completed up to 114 st, no new Jasper Ave work is expected until 2023 or 2024 according to the city director overseeing this project when I inquired in June.

From the city:

"During the planning for Imagine Jasper Avenue, the construction of the Imagine Jasper Avenue project was split into three phases to manage budget requirements, construction timelines, and construction on parallel corridors (including the construction of the Valley Line West LRT). The three phases originally contemplated:

Phase I: 109 Street - 114 Street (construction currently underway)

Phase II: 114 Street - 119 Street

Phase III: 119 Street - 124 Street

Initially, we were hoping to construct all three phases sequentially between 2020 and 2023 as outlined in a report presented to the Executive Committee on July 5, 2018. However, when Council approved the 2019-2022 Capital Budget, Council only allocated funding for streetscaping for Phase I (109 Street to 114 Street). As you are aware, the construction of this segment is now underway.

Funding for Phase II and Phase III are expected to be requested as part of the 2023-2026 budget discussions. If Council funds this work, construction on these additional phases could begin as early as 2023 or 2024."

After this current section is completed up to 114 st, no new Jasper Ave work is expected until 2023 or 2024 according to the city director overseeing this project when I inquired in June.

From the city:

"During the planning for Imagine Jasper Avenue, the construction of the Imagine Jasper Avenue project was split into three phases to manage budget requirements, construction timelines, and construction on parallel corridors (including the construction of the Valley Line West LRT). The three phases originally contemplated:

Phase I: 109 Street - 114 Street (construction currently underway)

Phase II: 114 Street - 119 Street

Phase III: 119 Street - 124 Street

Initially, we were hoping to construct all three phases sequentially between 2020 and 2023 as outlined in a report presented to the Executive Committee on July 5, 2018. However, when Council approved the 2019-2022 Capital Budget, Council only allocated funding for streetscaping for Phase I (109 Street to 114 Street). As you are aware, the construction of this segment is now underway.

Funding for Phase II and Phase III are expected to be requested as part of the 2023-2026 budget discussions. If Council funds this work, construction on these additional phases could begin as early as 2023 or 2024."
Man, that sucks... My landlord received a note of some work being done in the street/sidewalk my our building a couple of months ago, nothing specific, but seemed somewhat major (mentioned lane closures and all). Sad to hear of that...
Thanks, Edmonton City Council, for this half baked job... By the time they finish it at 124st, they'll be needing to repave the whole avenue 🤬

Edit: but there's enough money on the budget to f**ing repave a good 4km of 23 ave and about the same length of 137 ave, which was ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY, compared to the state of disrepair and the ridiculous time that stuff takes to get done here.
I'll seriously campaign for everyone and anyone who sets their priorities straight in terms of where we need to put money in this city's infrastructure and renewal.

Last edited:
105 Ave continues to be a mess and a disappointment. According to that city website, this particular section was due to be completed in early August - so well past that target. And given this was only a 3 block project with a two month timeline, it's likely going to take double the time they estimated.

View attachment 344777View attachment 344778
No visual progress from when I took these Aug 29 - so nothing done last week.

FFS what is with these stupid divided bike lanes? put both directions together! it's simpler, easier to use, and reduces the kind of driving-parking-biking conflicts you rightly point out. I swear the people who design these lanes don't actually use a bike and are pulling this stuff of pinterest saying "this looks trendy, let's do that!" without thinking about actual functionality. very dissapointed in this. i didn't realize they were going to bugger up the existing setup like this when they redid the road.

I'll add that 105 west of 116 has a truly bizarre arrangement of MUP and painted bike lanes on the road. the Eastbound (south side, fronting onto condos instead of the cemetery) lane is almost always covered by parked cars, and thanks to the lanes being inconsistent, most cyclists just ride in the road as a result, sometimes against traffic to line up with the lane east of 116. This split-direction system is confusing as hell and we don't need it here. just put a bi-directional lane on the north side.
ugh
I prefer protected bike lanes on both sides. It'd reduce conflicts between bikers and drivers, though we already have that as a major issue due to our stroads mentality.

Back