News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

High Level Bridge Streetcar / ERRS

Oh totally! I'd say if you're into transit history it's well worth having both. They're great compliments because they both set out to do different things. Ride is a more generalized history, while Electric is a more specialized history. Both books are excellent works as standalones, but together they create a really comprehensive picture of the system's history and development.

For instance, Electric has a whole chapter explaining the rational, from both E.R.R. higher-ups and City councilmembers, about the introduction of the trolleybus system — something Ride covers in far less detail. On the other hand, Electric doesn't really detail the City's decision to introduce diesel buses in 1932 — Ride does. Ride, as a history of the Transit System as an organization, doesn't spend much time detailing the independently owned, funded, and operated Edmonton Interurban Railway — Electric spends a chapter on it (despite them being diesel vehicles).

It's that kind of back-and-forth that makes for something really special between the two. I will say though, Ride does have a leg up on Electric just by virtue of being published in 2008. It's a whole twenty-five years newer than Electric and has the benefit of being able to talk about the changes and developments that have happened since 1983.
Thanks for the excellent answer, you sold me on it! It should arrive shortly after Ride :)

Hello, there old friend!
2021-07-23 067.JPG2021-07-23 058.JPG2021-07-23 090.JPG
Pics from today.
I was chatting with one of the Motormen last week while on the Fort Edmonton streetcar and he mentioned that the Old Strath ones could be running the first week of August.

I think it would be nice if they had some sort of info board about the history of the streetcars or something of that nature that could get people to stop for a minute or two.
That's a great idea, that'd make it a nice spot to visit even if one isn't going to ride the streetcars; not to mention during their off-season. They recently redid their museum from what I hear, so hopefully they can increase traffic there as well.

This isn't directly related to the current streetcar line, but I didn't know where else to put it. The Wikipedia page for the Edmonton Radial Railway was only a paragraph or two in length, so I decided to improve it! A lot of this was made possible by the excellent level of detail on the ERRS's website.

Last edited:
This page needs an edit to reflect it runs to Whyte Avenue if you are up to it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Bridge_Streetcar
Thanks, I'll add it to my list!

That reminds me, I spoke with a member about expanding the High Level Bridge line, and he made some good points about why it probably shouldn't happen. At least not for a while.

First, even if CP were to close down it's Strathcona yard tomorrow, there wouldn't be anywhere good for the streetcar line to go in that area. It's all industrial. Further north, we'd first need to replace the CP bridge across Jasper Ave, which was demolished a while ago. But even if it were rebuilt, there's no room to put tracks there. The land where old CP station sat has long since redeveloped, and it similarily can't go east or west along Jasper.

After hearing his points, I must say that I agree. Let's look at their immediate situation for a second. Their Whyte Ave stop is complete, but very bare. It's just a wooden platform and some signs. There's no seating, spots for shade, or facilities to sell tickets. Yes, we have conductors who sell tickets. But we also have a ticket tent at our Strathcona terminus for the busy days, so that the cars don't run late. I don't know how much detail I can get into, but they have longer term goals for something more permanent there.

How about the other end of the line? Well we do technically go to Jasper Ave, but it doesn't help with our visibility. The stop is actually at a park which is a few seconds walk from Jasper.
Screenshot_20210822-125932_Maps.jpg

I'm sure you know where I'm going with this. If you're walking, biking, or driving along Jasper, you wouldn't know you were passing by the stop unless you knew we were there, or you noticed the tiny little sign on a streetlight that says "High Level Bridge Streetcar -->"
Screenshot_20210822-130348_Maps.jpg

Given that the Whyte Ave extension took 10 years, I think they should pause any further expansions for now, and focus on improving what they already have. First, their presence along Jasper needs to be worked on. I know they can't go on and expand the tracks to the edge of the lot, but maybe they can work with the city and/or owner of that lot to improve their signage facing Jasper, and the pedestrian connections to that park.

On the other end of the line, they should chase that goal of turning their Whyte Ave stop into a proper terminus where people can wait in comfort. Given that it's on Whyte Ave of all places, it would be a great location to establish a public-facing presence that can extend beyond their operating days and seasons, so that they can have more of a presence in the public's consciousness beyond the occasional ride people take for the novelty of it.

And on both ends, they should improve accessibility at their termini. Right now, Old Strathcona has the only ramp in the system. I helped a lady and her family board, because she was wheelchair-bound, and it was quite an experience. Don't get me wrong, there's only so much that can be done when we're talking antique streetcars, but I think that improvements can be made. At the very least, there should be one on either end so that people who need the ramps have the option to get off and explore before taking their return trip, just like everyone else.

The ERRS is a volunteer organization. It is funded completely by rider fees, donations, and grants. They only have so much manpower and resources avalible, and cannot focus on multiple areas of improvement at once. Given this, I think that if it is to improve its presence, image, and outreach in Edmonton, there is much more to be gained from improving what they have right now before they consider any further expansions. As it has always done, it shoild continue to persue quality over quantity.

Last edited:
They should close down that used car dealership on Whyte Ave. Then there will be plenty of room for an ERRS terminal.
But where else could I get a used car in Edmonton? The war on cars continues!!
/s

Back