News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Yellowhead Trail Upgrades

If you have time, you should check out this explanation from the Fort Road phase public hearing. The basic summary is that they are limited by the design of the existing roadway; some of it resembles the Henday, but other parts are much more constrained and the surrounding areas are developed to the point that the road can't be altered as much as would be needed to safely increase the speed limit. Administration opted for a consistent 80 km/h speed limit along the entire stretch instead of having a patchwork of different speed limits that can cause confusion, lead to unnecessary braking, etc.

Again, that is a very rough summary and if you're interested in learning more, I highly recommend that you watch the segment that I linked.

Welp, not like it matters to me. I'll be going 90 anyway when the highway is dry.

What might work for Yellowhead - 100 km/h wear of 156 Street and east of 50 Street. 90 km/h west of St. Albert Trail and east of 66 Street. 80 km/h between 66 Street and St.Albert Trail..

What might work for Yellowhead - 100 km/h wear of 156 Street and east of 50 Street. 90 km/h west of St. Albert Trail and east of 66 Street. 80 km/h between 66 Street and St.Albert Trail..
I think it could be 90 west of 97 Street since they'll be reconstructing Yellowhead Trail in that area, but maybe the ramps are too close together.

How about just keeping to one uniform speed from Henday to Henday so that it's less confusing for the unwashed masses?

^ I think the trouble is that sections like Fort Road's exits are not very visible (eastbound or westbound), and the approach speed before exiting would likely be no higher than 80. I think yeggator has a valid point with setting the speed west of 97 street at 90. It's possible that interchanges like Fort Road and 82 Street or 127 Street and St. Albert Trail could be too close together.

^ I think the trouble is that sections like Fort Road's exits are not very visible (eastbound or westbound), and the approach speed before exiting would likely be no higher than 80. I think yeggator has a valid point with setting the speed west of 97 street at 90. It's possible that interchanges like Fort Road and 82 Street or 127 Street and St. Albert Trail could be too close together.
I wish they could completely reconstruct the Yellowhead around Fort Road. Those ramps are way too short and the road is very narrow.

I wish they could completely reconstruct the Yellowhead around Fort Road. Those ramps are way too short and the road is very narrow.
In the Fort Road video I linked above, they did address a question about those ramps. They'll extend them as much as possible, but they can't go as far as they'd like because the LRT overpass is too close. Cat's idea is pretty cool, I definitely wish something better could be done. At least it'll be a bit better I guess.

I'm surprised with speed of the progress they are making so far 👍
20210817_125707_HDR.jpg

I'm surprised with speed of the progress they are making so far 👍
View attachment 342283
All they're doing is closing intersections and widening Yellowhead Trail, plus adding collector lanes. With asphalt mind you. It really not something that should take that long. Not sure why they're saying it's gonna take until 2023 when they could have it done by November 2022 at the latest.

Last edited:

Back