East Junction | 86m | 25s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
but the real question is how many floors of mechanical will be stacked on top? will the big grey box be 20' tall? 30'? flat-topped or with a sassy angled parapet? what grey will they paint it? A classic gunmetal, a soft and subtle Gainsboro, or a dark and daring graphite?

...sorry about that. but really, with the Clifton Place tower topping out with yet another grey mech space (see the Hat 5 Corners), i am bracing myself for the worst when this thing tops out. do we know what that will look like? I don't trust renders, they go bad like fresh produce.
Probably minimal based on the renders. Maybe half of one floor? Doesn't give a good idea of what HVAC will be up there. Elevator core is now above grade for the next 12-floor building next to the taller one.

958825_aeab70e56ec0495eba79c467e1911738_mv2-jpg.251337

This is going back to Council on August 17th.

Source: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=108981

In response to the May 11, 2021 referral motion, the applicant made the following main revisions to the proposal:
● Updating the appendices to more accurately reflect requirements in the text of the zone such as showing the buildings accurately 14 metres apart and matching the size of the Publicly Accessible Private Park to the size requirement in the text;
● Decreasing the proposed increase in density from 450 to 250 dwellings and making the increase in the number of two bedroom dwellings and dwellings designed to be suitable for families proportional with the increase;
● Removing all proposed built form changes (building shapes, heights and tower floor plate sizes);
● Adding an overall maximum number of vehicular parking spaces of 1425 for residential parking, visitor parking and parking for commercial uses combined. This is effectively the maximum that is currently allowed for the approved 1200 dwellings;
● Increasing the required size of the Publicly Accessible Private Park from 1000 m2 to 1150 m2 ; and
● Removing the requirement for Developer Sponsored Affordable Housing in response to the repeal of City Policy C582 (City mandated adjustment).

Thought since they made it to ground level on the adjacent 12 storey a few weeks ago….but nothing since

Source: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=108981

In response to the May 11, 2021 referral motion, the applicant made the following main revisions to the proposal:
● Updating the appendices to more accurately reflect requirements in the text of the zone such as showing the buildings accurately 14 metres apart and matching the size of the Publicly Accessible Private Park to the size requirement in the text;
Decreasing the proposed increase in density from 450 to 250 dwellings and making the increase in the number of two bedroom dwellings and dwellings designed to be suitable for families proportional with the increase;
● Removing all proposed built form changes (building shapes, heights and tower floor plate sizes);
● Adding an overall maximum number of vehicular parking spaces of 1425 for residential parking, visitor parking and parking for commercial uses combined. This is effectively the maximum that is currently allowed for the approved 1200 dwellings;
● Increasing the required size of the Publicly Accessible Private Park from 1000 m2 to 1150 m2 ; and
● Removing the requirement for Developer Sponsored Affordable Housing in response to the repeal of City Policy C582 (City mandated adjustment).
The bolded text above does not make sense to me - is the scale of this project increasing or decreasing the number of dwellings or is this application for just some of the buildings????

● Decreasing the proposed increase in density from 450 to 250 dwellings and making the increase in the number of two bedroom dwellings and dwellings designed to be suitable for families proportional with the increase;
Does this mean that the building will remain the same size, it's just that they're adding more family-friendly and two bedroom units so there's less room for apartments? If so, I don't mind this at all considering there was just a conversation about the need for more apartment spaces in these sorts of towers that can accommodate families.

The bolded text above does not make sense to me - is the scale of this project increasing or decreasing the number of dwellings or is this application for just some of the buildings????
You're right its wording is confusing. It is increasing in size, but not to the degree the developer wanted back in May.

In May they proposed an increase of 450 units to the project. Regency/DER is now applying for an increase of 250 (a decrease from the proposed increase).

The proportional increase in units should include a proportional increase in units suitable for families.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed, but not surprised, especially with Iverson. He seems to have thrown in the towel for good, in this last few months as mayor.
Huh?! I see it the other way. You do know this is the same guy behind the Emerald and BMO pits downtown right? So now he’s gonna threaten to “pull” Phase 2 if he doesn't get his way? Get him outta here….he’s your buddy Ian

Huh?! I see it the other way. You do know this is the same guy behind the Emerald and BMO pits downtown right? So now he’s gonna threaten to “pull” Phase 2 if he does t get his way? Get him outta here….he’s your buddy Ian
Exactly, while he claims he is a community developer. Just like the last car salesman I bought a used car from told me he cares about his customers. This guy is a joke.

Edit: And I certainly do not know if this is the case but perhaps some councilors have spoken to him off record about his lack of community attention to his downtown developments as motivation to not negotiate on a vote for Holyrood. I certainly don't know if that's the case, I am speculating but perhaps some councilors have said enough is enough with this guy. Give him an inch and he thinks he is a ruler.

Last edited:
Huh?! I see it the other way. You do know this is the same guy behind the Emerald and BMO pits downtown right? So now he’s gonna threaten to “pull” Phase 2 if he doesn't get his way? Get him outta here….he’s your buddy Ian
You guys seem to have misunderstood me 🤣 I thought this was the perfect opportunity to put public pressure on Regency, tie in approval to an improvement in behavior regarding their other sites, and Iverson should've been the face of it.

Raj Dhunna should concentrate more on his other hellholes (Tower 101 and Emerald) and less on deal-breaking with Holyrood Gardens. Failing that, he should be chased out of town and let more reputable developers take over Tower 101, Emerald, and Holyrood Gardens (looking at you, Westrich and Beljan).

What exactly is his version of Phase 2? Is it the entire section that still houses all of those ghetto 4 plexes? Cause the pit that he is working on right now looks as though it might be a 1/3rd of the pit….so really, it appears that he is only progressing on 1/6th of his current parcel. He hasn’t even started the adjacent 12 storey yet. That 2/3 rd of a pit that he has right now even worries me. How long before he moves on that?

Back