Stadium Plaza | 23m | 6s | Capitaland | SPAN Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@Romanov What a great read! Thanks for sharing.

I really like the area around the stadium. I would love to live there at some point, as the area has a lot going for it, despite its rough recent history. My dad grew up there in the 60s, and he said it was a great neighbourhood back then.

Avenue Magazine did an article about some of the change happening: https://www.avenueedmonton.com/city-life/stadium-yards-commonwealth-stadium/
Didn't know that Avenue put this article out - very interesting read! I always like reading about the neighbourhood. Thanks Romanov!

I live in this area and have been itching to see movement on this development, but as it stands there's still a single garage left that hasn't been demolished, and every time there's a strong wind the development sign blows over and isn't picked up for weeks. I saw today they'd finally picked up the sign structure but took off the signs themselves.

Has anyone heard anything at all? Positive or negative.

Reference ID: Job No 379654450-002
Description: Construction of (a) new building(s), Demolition
Plan 512V Blk 84 Lot 23
11232 - 86 STREET NW
Plan 512V Blk 84 Lot 21
11228 - 86 STREET NW
Plan 512V Blk 84 Lot 22
11224 - 86 STREET NW
Plan 512V Blk 84 Lot 24
11220 - 86 STREET NW
Plan 512V Blk 84 Lot 25
11216 - 86 STREET NW
Plan 512V Blk 84 Lot 26
Applicant: SPAN ARCHITECTURE INC
Create Date: 11/30/2020 10:03:06 PM
Neighbourhood: PARKDALE

Nothing special (6 storey stucco and EIFS building), but far and away better than the 6 vacant lots there now.

379654903 12-3-2020 11-25-47 AM.png

Nothing special (6 storey stucco and EIFS building), but far and away better than the 6 vacant lots there now.

View attachment 286650
Is this the street facing side? If so, they're removing all the CRU's from the building that were present in earlier renders, which is really disappointing.

Is this the street facing side? If so, they're removing all the CRU's from the building that were present in earlier renders, which is really disappointing.

It is the east elevation along 86 Street, so no CRUs in this building. Honestly, I don't think there'd be a demand to fill them anyways since there are existing vacancies at the Save-On plaza at 82 Street and along 118 Avenue.

Yeah retail makes little sense. FWIW a few years ago 711 was quite interested in replacing the Endzone/daycare but seemed to back off which is pretty telling IMO

I have no doubt that 7-11 would've experienced disorder on a level that matches the now closed Jasper Ave & 101 street location.

With that said, there's actually a need for a 7-11 or Circle K in the area, but I think 82 street/111 ave is a better location for that
I wholeheartedly agree. I always thought that 82nd and Jasper would be the best spot. Replace that janky convenience store and car audio place that has been empty for the past 15 years. But I could see up near 112th being a more reasonable spot.

I have no doubt that 7-11 would've experienced disorder on a level that matches the now closed Jasper Ave & 101 street location.

With that said, there's actually a need for a 7-11 or Circle K in the area, but I think 82 street/111 ave is a better location for that

I'm not sure about that. The strip mall at the corner of 86th and 111th is pretty quiet, as is the general area around it. If the 7-11 were north on 118th, that would be a different story.

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Jun 10, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct 78 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing with underground Parking Garage
Address
11228 - 86 STREET NW
Design is more or less the same (with some minor tweaks) as what I posted in December.

Back